Calm Waters (2A03+MMC5+N163-4)

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Joblez_I

Calm Waters (2A03+MMC5+N163-4)

Postby Joblez_I » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:12 pm

Hey, everyone! Recently decided I needed a bit of a style change, and as such, I've been reworking my instrument set, fine tuning it so I can make it distinct but still sound nice. I Hope you enjoy!

Calm_Waters.zip
0cc because trying to convert it is a nightmare and it doesn't sound right with most nsf players
(33.14 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
I like the chips and the tunes
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsJ-If ... N1KknMZTpA (I rarely upload to youtube btw, I'd really recommend listening to my soundcloud if you want my stuff)

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/joblez_i

Gigaroid

Re: Calm Waters (2A03+MMC5+N163-4)

Postby Gigaroid » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:37 pm

Very chill. I like it.

Not a fan of the first two frames though. The seagulls sounded a little off. I think a way to go with it would either be to further tie them to a rhythm, or make them really seem random. Right now it's somewhere uncomfortably in the middle.

I could tell you were trying to make the noise seem like waves washing upon a shore, but it didn't evoke that for me. Maybe having it fade in and out at a faster rate would work better.

Just a tip, as long as you're using 0CC, you might as well use the groove method instead of using Fxx over and over.

I think it loops quite nicely, and you used the DPCM channel quite well. The melody is nice and relaxing. You captured the mood you were going for quite perfectly. The echo effect adds to it nicely.

Overall, very good. Just a few minor nitpicks. Keep it up!

Joblez_I

Postby Joblez_I » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:57 pm

Gigaroid wrote:Very chill. I like it.

Not a fan of the first two frames though. The seagulls sounded a little off. I think a way to go with it would either be to further tie them to a rhythm, or make them really seem random. Right now it's somewhere uncomfortably in the middle.

I could tell you were trying to make the noise seem like waves washing upon a shore, but it didn't evoke that for me. Maybe having it fade in and out at a faster rate would work better.

Just a tip, as long as you're using 0CC, you might as well use the groove method instead of using Fxx over and over.

I think it loops quite nicely, and you used the DPCM channel quite well. The melody is nice and relaxing. You captured the mood you were going for quite perfectly. The echo effect adds to it nicely.

Overall, very good. Just a few minor nitpicks. Keep it up!

Thanks for listening! At the time I composed this song, I wasn't too familiar with using grooves, so I actually ended up just not using them. Admittedly, the first two rows are actually remnants of what this song was initially supposed to be, which was a remake of another song I had composed back in April. It had become it's own thing after I started playing around with chords and came up with a chord progression I liked. Listening to your nitpicks, I've reworked the song a bit, and decided to remove the first two frames and make the waves a bit faster to sound more natural.

Calm_Waters.zip
(33.16 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
I like the chips and the tunes
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsJ-If ... N1KknMZTpA (I rarely upload to youtube btw, I'd really recommend listening to my soundcloud if you want my stuff)

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/joblez_i

Gigaroid

Postby Gigaroid » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:40 pm

Ah, the waves are much nicer now. Good job!

Return to “Original Music”