Some songs that are finished, not finished and some that I will not use anymore

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
GJRM

Some songs that are finished, not finished and some that I will not use anymore

Postby GJRM » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:46 pm

There are songs that I have already finished, some that I have not finished and some that I will never use ;)

Note: a song that is named '' An intro song to another song from a boss made in Defle Mask Tracker.0cc '', you need to adjust the Mixer:

Apu1:+ 8.0db
apu2:+ 9.5dB
Vrc6:+ 7.5dB
Mmc5:+ 7.5dB
Fds:+ 5.7dB
N163+: 3.5dB

my songs.rar
You need 0cc.
(41.7 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
i like blue, red and hats. My name is GJRM! (I know how to clap with one hand)

Teuthida

Re: Some songs that are finished, not finished and some that I will not use anymore

Postby Teuthida » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Most of these are pretty great starts! However, your songs have two massive problems: an over-reliance on repetition and a lack of direction.
Your songs repeat far too much. When I used the 'merge duplicated patterns' function on your songs, I often found them to be mostly made up of a repeating 1 or 2 frame section. There's nothing particularly wrong with using ostinato, but it does become a problem when your listener (aka me) starts to get bored of listening to the same phrase over and over again. There are many ways to fix this, but I would either change some of the repeating sections to be unique, or add some new content to the accompaniment while keeping the melody repetitive. Try both ways and see which methods work best for which songs. Fixing this will also help you with your other problem...
Many of your songs (and especially your melodies) lack direction. They either wander aimlessly, or just stay on the same feel the whole time. This one's a little harder to fix, but one tip I can give you is to change up your rhythm and percussion section every once in a while.

Here are some problems (and things I liked) about particular songs:
1st Boss Battle has a nice ostinato at the beginning and a similarly great start, but it takes too long to get to the melody. The melody itself is fairly bland and occasionally annoying. I recommend studying HertzDevil's song Extends Levant; I think it has a similar mood to what you're going for.
A 3 Brothers House has the best balance of repetition in the whole folder. It helps that it fits the science-y mood. I like your use of the VRC7 chip; it's not an easy one to use!
An Intro Song is decent, but suffers from the same problems as your other songs. Additionally, you don't really get that much out of your extra channels. Try cutting it down to two expansion chips or even a single expansion.
Eh, I Will Not Use doesn't have any new issues.
I Do Not Know Why I Did It is a nice jingle... Maybe you could make a whole piece out of it?
Look at This Space is pretty cool! It has a great 'beauty of space' mood. I would definitely expand this one. Do you really need all those chips though?
Mega Man 8 Stage Select is a good cover. There's nothing else I can say about it!
This One Has a Problem and Why Put a Name on this Song are just more of the same.
I hope my critiques have helped you!
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

GJRM

Re: Some songs that are finished, not finished and some that I will not use anymore

Postby GJRM » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:33 am

Here are the finished songs (and the ones I will not use):

1st Boss Battle: Actually I did this song originally on DefleMask Tracker (I was learning how to use the program), so I tried doing it in Famitracker to see how it got in 8-bit. I think the date I did this song was in July 2017.

An intro song to another song from a boss made in Defle Mask Tracker: This song I did just to test with all the expansion chips (by taking the S5B).

Eh ... I will not use: I also found that there are no problems in this song (Teuthida, you saw that there was more than one song, did not you join them, to see how it was?).

I do not know why I did it: I did this song just for stupidity.

MM8 Stage Select: Wow, I found it so ugly, just got a simple mistake (And you'll have to find out).

This one has a problem ... Wait, I do not even use it .: This song has a problem in putting waves with the guitar and bass. And I was trying to make a guitar by hand (And I recently tried to make a Slap Bass, I do not know it was very good, but I'll put it down here).

Slap bass.rar
(9.49 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

Why I put this name on this song and I will not use it: I also did this for stupidity.

Here are the unfinished songs:

A 3 brothers' house: I also think this is the best of all! These are the songs that will be in the file:

-Christopher's Laboratory (Completed)

- Get out of my room! (I'm not doing it yet)

- James Haven (Uncompleted)

Look at this Space: I put so many chips because not yet sure which chips I'm going to put. And I intend to continue working on it.

So that's what I think about my songs, and I intend to improve them even more.

Sorry if you have something wrong with the text because I do not understand English very much.
i like blue, red and hats. My name is GJRM! (I know how to clap with one hand)

Return to “Original Music”