Synigrade [VRC6]

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Gigaroid

Synigrade [VRC6]

Postby Gigaroid » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:05 am

Hi, this is my first post here in a long time. Guess my old account got yanked. I recently picked up FamiTracker again and tried to see what I could make. I've been getting positive feedback on Twitter about my chiptunes, but I can't help but feel my work could use improvement. So here's my latest song. I'd appreciate if you could give both pros and cons so I know what to improve upon while also knowing what to keep the same. Thanks!
Attachments
synigrade.ftm
(37.26 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

Teuthida

Re: Synigrade [VRC6]

Postby Teuthida » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:49 am

Melodically, this song is pretty nice! It has a solid harmony and simple but effective instrumentation. It's a very 'chip' style, which isn't always my thing, but you did it well. I would say that the main problems with this song are its mixing and channel economy. Your drums are very quiet, and although they are audible, they don't really 'punch' through the rest of the channels, making them sound weak. If you lower the volume of your other channels, your song will sound much better. Channel economy basically refers to getting the most out of your channels. This is most apparent with your second VRC6 channel, where there are moments of silence in between the arps. Try putting some echo, extra bass, something there.

On the subject of your arps, I think you should define an Arpeggio macro for them instead of manually entering each one. This will save you a lot of time in the future.

Frame 06 sounds a little close to the Undertale theme. It's not too noticeable, but something to watch out for.

I hope my critique can help you!
Last edited by Teuthida on Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

Gigaroid

Postby Gigaroid » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:52 pm

Thanks! I'll try to watch out for the drums and such. I'll try to have less empty channels in the future as well.

Teuthida wrote:On the subject of your arps, I think you should define an Arpeggio macro for them instead of manually entering each one. This will save you a lot of time in the future.

I'm actually aware of 0xy, and have used it in previous songs. But the issue with that is it's far too fast for what I wanted for this song.

Teuthida wrote:Frame 06 sounds a little close to the Undertale theme. It's not too noticeable, but something to watch out for.

Oh, shit! It does! Whoops. I'll have to be more careful. It's weird, it's just three notes, but they're basically unusable in that order now. :/

Thanks for the feedback!

Teuthida

Postby Teuthida » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:24 pm

I wasn't talking about 0xy. I was talking about the Arpeggio part of the Instrument Editor. Make a separate instrument called "Octave Arp" or something, then enter | 0 0 0 12 12 12 into it. That will give you the effect you want.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

Gigaroid

Postby Gigaroid » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:30 pm

Oh wow. Completely forgot about that feature. That would have made it much easier. :P

Return to “Original Music”