[2A03] - The Annoying Little Tsundere

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Drillimation

[2A03] - The Annoying Little Tsundere

Postby Drillimation » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:28 pm

Heya drillers!

I was having difficulty trying to come up with ideas for this song. This is basically the follow-up to the stage music, Dusky Eclipse (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3578), and if you haven't listened to that, I recommend you listen to that first and then come back here.

Basically, I have a funny story to tell while coming up with this song. First off, I couldn't think of a good title to give the song once I started composing it. Eventually, I chose to associate the theme to a tsundere that would annoy the central protagonist of a game I'm currently developing, Chuhou Joutai, which is a retro-style Touhou Project clone. In the clone, I'm adding features that I wish would've been in Touhou, such as a health system and the ability to play the music in different formats as if it was an old MS-DOS game. That being said, you'll be able to play the song in formats such as the AdLib/SoundBlaster card or the Roland MT-32.

This song has three parts. The opening, which is a little depressing as it's played during the dialogue sequence, the main theme, which plays during the battle, and a small critical part where the key is transposed by one up.

Hope you enjoy!
Attachments
The Annoying Little Tsundere.ftm
(18.44 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
It's the Drillimation Guy!
Musical influences come from Skaven of Future Crew and ZUN.

Gigaroid

Re: [2A03] - The Annoying Little Tsundere

Postby Gigaroid » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:25 am

I can definitely see Touhou-inspired parts of this song. Overall, it's put together nicely. From a technical aspect, I don't have much to add. Where it falls flat is the melodies and such. I think it could be structured better, maybe having theme & variation (my favorite to write in), or perhaps some other form. It's something worth looking into.

Here's somewhere to start: https://www.musictheoryacademy.com/understanding-music/musical-structures/

I don't know your process, but it's better to have something in mind than just to write random notes until they sound right. I can sometimes fall back into that if I'm not careful.

Drillimation

Postby Drillimation » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:03 pm

Like I said, some fans felt the music for the game needed to sound more Touhou-like. I've been watching a bit of 8-Bit Music Theory just to see how the music for the Super Mario and Sonic series is composed. How I compose my songs is simple: just create one melody that repeats twice and switches to a new melody after.

MagicSpider

Postby MagicSpider » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Drillimation wrote: How I compose my songs is simple: just create one melody that repeats twice and switches to a new melody after.

Oh boi we're doing exactly the same thing! Glad I'm not alone.

Drillimation

Postby Drillimation » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:59 pm

MagicSpider wrote:
Drillimation wrote: How I compose my songs is simple: just create one melody that repeats twice and switches to a new melody after.

Oh boi we're doing exactly the same thing! Glad I'm not alone.

The way composers compose music is you have to learn how to handle motifs. Koji Kondo, who composes for the Super Mario series, always creates motifs that are one to two bars in length and turns them into an entire theme. He always opens the main theme with a two-measure intro. I might want to compose something like that for the stage 1 theme of my indie maniac shmup.

Return to “Original Music”