My One-Hour Battles

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
jrlepage
Forum Staff

My One-Hour Battles

Postby jrlepage » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:48 pm

So... It's been months since I last had enough spare time to open FamiTracker and actually write stuff with it.

Until that happens, please enjoy some of my best OHB entries from 2011 through 2015. I think most of those who also spend time at Battle of the Bits will be all too familiar with these, but nevertheless.

Unless otherwise noted, all of these won first place.

I'll update this thread when/if I enter more OHBs.

da_jungle.ftm
My first ever OHB over at Battle of the Bits, and to this day it is still among the ones that I am most proud of. I think the theme was just to make a generic jungle theme.
(27.42 KiB) Downloaded 133 times

buona_notte.ftm
Also an early OHB entry. The idea was to make a goodnight theme; I think I pulled it off quite nicely.
(7.39 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

show me a moose_fix.ftm
Arguably one of my best originals ever – OHB or otherwise – in spite of its short length. Sadly this was met only with two mediocre entries, so I don't think of it as highly as I would have if I had beaten some of the top OHBers out there. Still quite proud of it though. There's also a bit of a Tony Thai feel to it, which I like (especially since Tony has inspired me so much throughout the years).
(42.81 KiB) Downloaded 137 times

RUN LIKE HELL.ftm
I don't really have anything to say about this one. Generic escape theme, I guess.
(26.82 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

mansion rock.ftm
I don't really recall much about this Battle, other than it involved a few people from this community.
(26.12 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

happy 2a03.ftm
Certainly one of the happiest tunes I've written! Not the best channel economy ever though.
(14.76 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

drunk friday night with the boys.ftm
I really like the way this one conveys the theme of the Battle. I seem to have knack for coming up with pretty good VRC7 patches in a really short amount of time.
(48.87 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

graveyard.ftm
This one had less of a theme, and more of a musical guideline to it. The idea was to use as many suspended chords as possible. I, of course, took this very seriously – so much, in fact, that I barely had time to write more than eight bars of music! Still won the gold medal, though.
(13.85 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

uninspired_joy.ftm
I think this one earned its title because the OHB happened right after a Famicompo stream where I didn't exactly get the reactions I was expecting for my cover. My mood swung in the other direction when I won this OHB, though.
(27.22 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

time_ticking_backwards.ftm
"Write the soundtrack to a weird situation" was the theme for this one. I think this ranks up there amongst my best originals ever, along with Show Me A Moose. This is a historical entry at Battle of the Bits in that it is one of only a handful of OHB entries on the site which earned the perfect score of 35.000 (only attainable if every single voter gives it the score of 7/7). I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that. While I never expected a perfect score, I do think the entry deserved a pretty good score, considering the amount of work that went into it.
(24.25 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

jrlepage_gg_'o'_on_no_ogg.ftm
Pretty cheesy stuff. The theme was pretty abstract: the file name (including the extension) had to be a palindrome, and the music had to be derived from the filename in some way. Luckily, the battle type was Wildchip and not NSF, so I was able to get creative and use the OGG format rather than NSF (or FTM). I handled the theme by having Pulse 1 be palindromic for the first half of the track (the FTM comments provide further details on this).
(17.92 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Follow me on Twitter.

Shywolf

Re: My One-Hour Battles

Postby Shywolf » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:57 pm

I still love time_ticking_backwards.ftm.

Hope you find time for more stuff soon.

rainwarrior
Forum Staff

Postby rainwarrior » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:15 am

Time Ticking Backwards still brings me to tears.

retrodpc

Postby retrodpc » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:15 am

This is all great stuff ^o^
Don't copypasta Quotes

my sondclop

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:06 am

retrodpc wrote:This is all great stuff ^o^

Yeah, this is fantastic! Everything is so perfect and full of small details!
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:44 pm

rainwarrior wrote:Time Ticking Backwards still brings me to tears.

How sweet~ :3
Follow me on Twitter.

Vinyl Scratch

Postby Vinyl Scratch » Fri May 01, 2015 3:47 am

This is all so fantastic. Listening to Show Me a Moose for the first time was a nonstop eargasm trip for me.
Check out my Soundcloud for all my music.

mtmbTomSmith

Postby mtmbTomSmith » Sun May 10, 2015 1:51 pm

Its stuff like this that reminds one that they're still pretty whatever, and to keep trying harder.

Wonderful all around. I kind of like time ticking backwards the most though, what a curious piece.

Roflo

Postby Roflo » Sun May 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Great tunes you made! I like the use use of VRC7.

Radnyx

Postby Radnyx » Sun May 10, 2015 11:15 pm

Dat 13/4 tho.

Seriously these are all brilliant.