[MMC5] "Impossible Odds" -- A final boss theme

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Curret

[MMC5] "Impossible Odds" -- A final boss theme

Postby Curret » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:43 pm

Hello everyone, I've been using FamiTracker for awhile now, but I've never really shown off anything I've made. I figure that if I finally ask for some feedback, maybe I'll actually get better. So, I've gone ahead and posted one of my many doodles, a piece that I made with the intention of being a sort of final boss theme. Constructive feedback very much appreciated!
-Curret

NOTE: there are two versions; one with DPCM drum samples in the main loop, and one without. I couldn't decide which I liked better.
Attachments
FinalBoss2_noDPCM.ftm
(46.03 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
FinalBoss2.ftm
(47.57 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

MiniMacro

Re: [MMC5] "Impossible Odds" -- A final boss theme

Postby MiniMacro » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:13 pm

Wow! This is good!
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:06 pm

Um... This is very unharmonic. Everything just blends together into a big mess that isn't that plesant to listen to. Try reading into some music theory. I mean, learn which notes fit together well and which don't. The first four frames are good, but after that, notes that does not fit start showing up, making it difficult to hear what's going on.

Also, volume is very unbalanced. A lot of stuff is way to loud and covers up everything else. The first two frames are fine, but after that there comes a lot of notes that's way to loud.

I hope I wasn't too harsh and that I didn't come off as rude. I just want to help. Because if you think that your music is fantastic and no one tells you that it isn't, you're going to continue to make this not so good music thinking it's great. But if you realize that what you're doing right now isn't that great, you'll try to find ways to improve and actually become good. Just look at MiniMacro. He's an excellent example of this. (No offence :))

Good luck and have a great day! :)
Here's my YouTube channel, my SoundCloud page and my Twitter account.

Curret

Postby Curret » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:53 pm

Nah, you didn't come off as rude. A rude person would have just said: "It's bad, stop trying" or something like that. Thanks for trying to tell what I need to improve, I'll try to keep in mind going forward. I'm guessing that by "notes that don't fit" you mean out of key? I'll try to fiddle around with this and see if I can fix that. I thought the audio balance was fine, but I guess I was wrong, lol. Wouldn't be the first time, though. Thanks again, for trying to help.

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Curret wrote:Nah, you didn't come off as rude. A rude person would have just said: "It's bad, stop trying" or something like that. Thanks for trying to tell what I need to improve, I'll try to keep in mind going forward. I'm guessing that by "notes that don't fit" you mean out of key? I'll try to fiddle around with this and see if I can fix that. I thought the audio balance was fine, but I guess I was wrong, lol. Wouldn't be the first time, though. Thanks again, for trying to help.

Oh sorry, I did mean out of key... :P

In regards to audio balance, you almost never want your volume on normal square channels to be above 0x0B (11) except possibly when you're using square channels for bass, in which case you might or might not want to have it louder than that depending on the volume of all the other channels. Having other stuff above 0x0B (11) will often make the triangle, which often is the bass, sound not so loud in comparasion with everything else. Really good composers like Tim Follin almost always keeps the square channels at only 0x04 (4), which makes the triangle kick and base sound super heavy and powerful.

Thanks for not getting mad at me! :D

Curret

Postby Curret » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:42 pm

Alright, so taking some of these criticisms into consideration, I've gone ahead and made some adjustments to the track. I still haven't solved the out-of-key problem, but I've tweaked the balancing and want to know if it's any better.
Attachments
FinalBoss2_noDPCM.ftm
(43.02 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:04 pm

This is better. Volume balance is way improved and I can actually hear what's going on. The triangle is very out of key still, and the lead is kinda confusing and goes out of key quite a lot. Still, it's a big improvement over the original version! :)

Curret

Postby Curret » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:17 pm

Fantastic! At least I know I'm heading in the right direction now :P thanks for the feedback. I'll try to fix the lead and triangle now.

Return to “Original Music”