[VRC6] Fighting the Odds

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Curret

[VRC6] Fighting the Odds

Postby Curret » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:37 pm

Alright, now let's see if this is any better than the last track I made... :?
I've put together another boss theme, this time intended to be more of a "normal" boss theme. I've tried to be more consistent with the melody, as in, less confusing. I've also made sure to stick to a certain key (in this case, C minor) so nothing should sound out-of-key. Hopefully the audio balance is fine, I tried to keep everything nice and quite. I think I also used much better drum samples than last time, too. Would love to hear some feedback on this... want to know if I'm heading in the right direction... or if I just should burn it all down and start over.
-Curret

NOTE: made with version .5 beta, sorry for not noting this earlier
Attachments
Boss3.ftm
(62.21 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Last edited by Curret on Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Threxx

Re: [VRC6] Fighting the Odds

Postby Threxx » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:29 pm

Curret wrote:Alright, now let's see if this is any better than the last track I made... :?
I've put together another boss theme, this time intended to be more of a "normal" boss theme. I've tried to be more consistent with the melody, as in, less confusing. I've also made sure to stick to a certain key (in this case, C minor) so nothing should sound out-of-key. Hopefully the audio balance is fine, I tried to keep everything nice and quite. I think I also used much better drum samples than last time, too. Would love to hear some feedback on this... want to know if I'm heading in the right direction... or if I just should burn it all down and start over.
-Curret

First of all, please state that this is a module made with the beta, for the 200th time on these boards.

Now, onto the actual song, the snare sample almost sounds like a tom. You should probably look to get samples taken from existing games. Such a sample pack existed on the old forums, but I do not know if it has been shared again.

The song itself starts out very well in the intro, but it gets fairly repetitive and I'm not a fan of the PWM on the lead instrument. It's kind of annoying.

Really, you still need to work on the drums, and vary your melody more.

PostApocolyptica

Postby PostApocolyptica » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:32 pm

There is also the matter of detuning in VRC6 Pulse 1 pattern 0x06. It does not sound very good at all. Threxx noted that the percussion needs work: the hi-hats in particular are far too quiet.
Sarumi is best ship; confirmed and manifested.

YouTube
Twitter
SoundCloud

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Threxx wrote:Such a sample pack existed on the old forums, but I do not know if it has been shared again.

That and other sample packs can be found in this thread.

Anyway, that melody's pretty repetitive. It fits, but it repeats too much without change, and it isn't all that interesting to hear otherwise. Percussion also needs work (agreeing with Threxx and PostApocolyptica's reasons). But bar those, this is OK. It does sound like a boss theme to me, and it's in-key.

Curret

Postby Curret » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:35 pm

I'm very sorry about forgetting to note that it was made in the beta :(
I'd forgotten, since I wasn't using any of the new features, sorry about that.
Anyways, thanks for the feedback. I'll try to improve the percussion, thanks for pointing out that samples thread.
The melody being repetitive was my main fear. Looks like I've gone from too unpredictable to too predictable in one song :|
I'll see if I can make some improvements.

Curret

Postby Curret » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:55 pm

Alright, so I've removed the PWM on the lead, removed the detuning on the VRC6 pulse 1, added some variations to the melody, changed the snare sample I was using (I think it sounds better now), and made the hats louder. I think it sounds better now, but I can't really judge my own work.
Attachments
Boss3.ftm
new and improved?
(62.21 KiB) Downloaded 49 times