Try Harder [VRC6]

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
ZeroJanitor

Try Harder [VRC6]

Postby ZeroJanitor » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:50 am

this was originally made in 0CC but i've tried to make it compatible with 0.4.6. it works on my end but lemme know if you have any trouble

also yeah i know rushjet1 has a song with the same name but i didn't realize that until it was too late so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Attachments
tryharder.ftm
(88.45 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

The Caller

Re: Try Harder [VRC6]

Postby The Caller » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:27 pm

While I'm usually a fan of your original pieces Janitor, I must say this is one of your weakest compositions. But that doesn't mean it's bad. Far from it. I think the melody is pretty nice, along with the overall feeling the track has.

The main problem with it is that it is a little too repetitive. It stays too long on the same segment, with little variation. And when it does change from one segment to another, that new segment is also repetitive. Then it returns to the initial segment, and guess what, repetitive.

Usually, I think repetition works well on slower and more methodical tracks (methodical tracks?), but on fast paced tracks like this, it gets stale pretty quickly. Again, not saying it's bad, but you've done better.

Also, damn you RushJet1 and your ability to come up with cool names for your songs! As well as your better... well... everything else!

ZeroJanitor

Re: Try Harder [VRC6]

Postby ZeroJanitor » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:52 pm

That's a fair assessment. I admit I didn't really focus on establishing a unique melodic identity for this so much as an experiment in this style of instrumentation and arrangement. Something to emulate that kind of EDM-style chiptune, which I guess tends to be repetitive by its nature.

Thanks for your input, I think this constructive criticism will be helpful if I decide to revisit the concept!

Return to “Original Music”