[VRC7] Foggy Seas

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Lum

[VRC7] Foggy Seas

Postby Lum » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:39 am

Hey all, a little while ago I decided I want to try making something with that mysterious VRC7. This is my first serious attempt at using anything related to FM synthesis, and I still don't totally get it, but hey... it's something! :)
Attachments
FoggySeas.ftm
(17.09 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
FoggySeas.nsf
(11.42 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

Ahornberg

Re: [VRC7] Foggy Seas

Postby Ahornberg » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:57 pm

I like the way you build up the song by adding instruments and then let them fade away again!

LarryLarington

Postby LarryLarington » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:39 pm

Well I would definitely would say your attempt was successful! Really liked how you used the different instruments and gave the piece a unique character. Just a few comments in case you're looking for them:

Loved the echo effect in the intro. I do feel that the first eight frames are a bit static though. Introducing something in frame 04 to build up or signal the lead coming in could help make your structure here more obvious.

I would describe the first half of your piece as calm or mellow, so when you introduce the two pulse waves toward the middle you kind of caught me by surprise. The parallel fifths -- especially in the lower register -- are quite powerful on the ear and contrast the feel of the first half pretty strongly. The second half sounds great on its own, but just wondering if the two halves could feel more cohesive.

You have a good looking module so not much to say there. Great job and would love to hear more of your work!
Current Project: TBD
Completed: Thunder Force IV - Count Down Continue

Lum

Postby Lum » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:27 am

Thank you both for your feedback!

LarryLarington wrote:Loved the echo effect in the intro. I do feel that the first eight frames are a bit static though. Introducing something in frame 04 to build up or signal the lead coming in could help make your structure here more obvious.

I was a little worried about that. I spent a good while trying to find a sound that made sense between frames 04-07, but the lead starting at frame 08 is just a few simple notes, and I couldn't find a way to build up to that. If you can think of anything that would fit there, feel free to post an edit of the original FTM - I really enjoy hearing others improve on my work.

LarryLarington wrote:I would describe the first half of your piece as calm or mellow, so when you introduce the two pulse waves toward the middle you kind of caught me by surprise. The parallel fifths -- especially in the lower register -- are quite powerful on the ear and contrast the feel of the first half pretty strongly. The second half sounds great on its own, but just wondering if the two halves could feel more cohesive.

I was trying to surprise people, kind of :)
At a certain point I felt the simple clean guitar was starting to limit what I could do with the song, so I shifted gears and added some deeper-sounding instruments to create a distinct "heavy" section. The pulses are supposed to simulate an electric guitar playing power chords, which is why they have such a thick sound to them.
I had hoped the percussion building up in frames 1C-1F would indicate that this shift was about to happen, but I can see how it might still be startling if you don't know what to expect. I'm sure it can be improved, I'm just not sure what the best way would be...

Tobikomi

Postby Tobikomi » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:16 am

Wow! This is lovely! You must've worked hard/had fun writing this! 10/10, A+! Fantastic!
ぼくのなまえはブライアン(とびこみ)だ。はじめまして!
My name is Bryan (Tobikomi). Nice to meet you!

My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/bryan-ness-699934457/tracks
My Chipmusic: http://chipmusic.org/gameputer_bryan3

Ahornberg

Postby Ahornberg » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:09 am

as mentioned before, the power chord guitar starting at frame 0x21 comes great!

Radnyx

Postby Radnyx » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:26 pm

Wow you really mastered that lead guitar picking. As for making something mysterious VRC7, you nailed it.