Can Someone Make This Better?

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Electric Cero

Can Someone Make This Better?

Postby Electric Cero » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:34 pm

I have finally made a short motif using FamiTracker :lol: . It's my first song so I still have a lot to learn and, I would appreciate some feedback.
(and hopefully a better version of the song!)
v5.ftm
(2.16 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

And here is a link to the same song but in beepbox with minor changes. https://goo.gl/9VGuxr
If you must know yes, I drew my avatar with MS paint.

Squidsquif

Re: Can Someone Make This Better?

Postby Squidsquif » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:31 am

Hmm, this isn't bad for your first song (mime was complete trash)! I like the tone you got going there, it sounds like the intro to a cool boss theme. Some advice I can give is to learn a bit of music theory. That will not only make your songs sound better, but will also help you create new ones! Don't be afraid to experiment. Another piece of advice is to listen to favorite Famitracker songs (I suggest the ones in the demo folder). See what makes them so good, such as what effects they use and what they do to the instruments. Famitracker is a tough program to get the hang of, but you'll get there, just keep trying to improve!
I hope this helps, and if you have any questions, feel free to message me!(I'll try to make an edit of your song later) :D
I spent all of your money on peach hats

Mega Bruh X

Postby Mega Bruh X » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:29 am

Electric Cero wrote:I have finally made a short motif using FamiTracker :lol: . It's my first song so I still have a lot to learn and, I would appreciate some feedback.
v5.ftm
(42.59 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

And here is a link to the same song but in beepbox with minor changes. https://goo.gl/9VGuxr

I actually really like what you had going on so far. As you requested, here's a small edit I made:
Attachments
v5.ftm
(42.59 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Swiggity Swooty I'm comin' for that booty. I have a YouTube channel right here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOeaYL ... QkIpS_-SBQ

Electric Cero

Postby Electric Cero » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:23 pm

Squidsquif wrote:Hmm, this isn't bad for your first song (mime was complete trash)! I like the tone you got going there, it sounds like the intro to a cool boss theme. Some advice I can give is to learn a bit of music theory. That will not only make your songs sound better, but will also help you create new ones! Don't be afraid to experiment. Another piece of advice is to listen to favorite Famitracker songs (I suggest the ones in the demo folder). See what makes them so good, such as what effects they use and what they do to the instruments. Famitracker is a tough program to get the hang of, but you'll get there, just keep trying to improve!
I hope this helps, and if you have any questions, feel free to message me!(I'll try to make an edit of your song later) :D

Thank you Squidsquif :D I'm only in my first year of Music Theory I. I'll be looking for some effects to toy with and I look forward to your edit of v5.
Mega Bruh X wrote:
Electric Cero wrote:I have finally made a short motif using FamiTracker :lol: . It's my first song so I still have a lot to learn and, I would appreciate some feedback.
v5.ftm

I actually really like what you had going on so far. As you requested, here's a small edit I made:

I guess I need to find the newer version of famitracker, I still have 0.4.6. :lol:

Mega Bruh X

Postby Mega Bruh X » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:53 pm

Sorry about that. You can get newer version here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=173
Swiggity Swooty I'm comin' for that booty. I have a YouTube channel right here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOeaYL ... QkIpS_-SBQ

Electric Cero

Postby Electric Cero » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:34 am

Mega Bruh X wrote:Sorry about that. You can get newer version here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=173

Thanks for your help, Mega Bruh. :) I like your edit btw, it sounds like it could be a city stage. Like Streets of Rage or something similar.

Electric Cero

Postby Electric Cero » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:13 pm

Well, it's not much of an improvement. But I think V6 sounds more like a title theme.
Attachments
v6.ftm
(2.65 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

TheNoobHunter

Postby TheNoobHunter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:45 pm

V6 definitely sounds better, but the amount of repetition and dissonant tones kinda ruins the song for me. I'd say pick a scale and stick to it. I think it would sound better if it had more of a melody as well. It sounds like it's leading up to one but never really goes anywhere

Squidsquif

Postby Squidsquif » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:23 am

Lmao I meant to post this awhile ago, but I haven't had time due to school (finals, ugh) and other stuff. Anyways, here is my edit of your song (the first one)! It's not as complex as Mega Bruh X's, but I tried to make some improvements,mainly adding a percussion loop as well as adding the triangle. Let me know if you have questions ;)
Attachments
v5 Edit.ftm
(2.38 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
I spent all of your money on peach hats

Electric Cero

Postby Electric Cero » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:38 pm

TheNoobHunter wrote:V6 definitely sounds better, but the amount of repetition and dissonant tones kinda ruins the song for me. I'd say pick a scale and stick to it. I think it would sound better if it had more of a melody as well. It sounds like it's leading up to one but never really goes anywhere

Thank you for the feedback, TheNoobHunter, I can admit that V6 is chaotic, and I'll take your advice and finish V6.
Squidsquif wrote:Lmao I meant to post this awhile ago, but I haven't had time due to school (finals, ugh) and other stuff. Anyways, here is my edit of your song (the first one)! It's not as complex as Mega Bruh X's, but I tried to make some improvements,mainly adding a percussion loop as well as adding the triangle. Let me know if you have questions ;)

Wow, This is awesome! I like the two channel echo in the beginning, it does make it sound like an intro to a cool boss theme.
And here's a question. How do minor scale progressions work? (I already know that major scales progress like: whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half)

EDIT: The reason why I'm asking is because I can't find an example that I can understand on the internet.

Return to “Original Music”