New Order (2A03 only)

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Applehack

New Order (2A03 only)

Postby Applehack » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:12 pm

I seriously haven't posted on this forum on ages jesus...
So here's a song I made. It was mostly just me experimenting to find a way to use the noise channel musically.
Did I overuse the arpeggios or am I just too european?

Edit: I listened to the song in 0CC and it just sounds wrong... I guess that's one way vanilla Famitracker excels.
Edit2: I included a version with tuning increased by 50 cents as PinoBatch said the noise is always a quarter tone sharper or flatter.
Edit3: I replaced that version and fixed the duty cycle so it sounds better in 0CC (it still sounds a little weird, but atleast it's not squeaky in 0CC anymore, just download the non-0cc version if you have 0.4.6) as PinoBatch suggested
Attachments
new order 0cc.ftm
(8.67 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
new order.ftm
(8.64 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Last edited by Applehack on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"The NES can only output bad MIDI music"
-Gamefaqs 2018

PinoBatch

Re: New Order (2A03 only)

Postby PinoBatch » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:11 pm

Period 93 noise on the NES has two quirks that make it a bit more cumbersome to use.

Timbre unpredictability

The sound of period 93 noise differs based on the exact time when the channel's period is switched between 32767 and 93, as it uses the data remaining in the noise channel's shift register from when it was set to 32767. This delay can vary based on several things:

1. Changes to the NSF driver from one version of FamiTracker to the next, such as 0.3.x to 0.4.6 to 0.5 beta
2. What's going on in other channels
3. What was played before this track
4. If a track is used in an NES game, what's going on in the rest of the game engine even non-musically
5. Whether the NSF's play routine is called once every 16666 microseconds (strict 60 Hz timing) or 16639 microseconds (vblank timing)

Thus composers using P-noise had to compose with the understanding that it wouldn't sound the same every play through. One technique to try is to mix up the phase of the shift register between notes by using a duty sequence that includes at least one even frame. I changed the duty sequence in instrument 0 of your FTM from 3 to 2 3, and it sounded less "squeaky" in 0CC-FT.

Tuning

Period 93 noise is tuned about a quarter tone sharp compared to the D, F#, G, and A# of A440 tuning. Equivalently, it's a quarter tone flat compared to D#, G, G#, and B. This means you'll need to change global tuning by 50 cents to get period 93 noise in tune. This is possible in 0CC-FamiTracker and FamiTracker 0.5 beta but not in FamiTracker 0.4.6.

EDIT: Replaced incorrect terminology with correct terminology. I apologize for the confusion.
Last edited by PinoBatch on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
If MMC5/VRC6 is a crutch, then VRC7 is a wheelchair ♿

Applehack

Postby Applehack » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:10 pm

I made the song with 0.4.6, so that's why it sounded so squeaky in 0CC.
I never knew the noise worked like that, but what do you mean by changing the arpeggio sequence in instrument 0? I double checked and there no arpeggio sequences in the FTM, so I don't know what you mean that I assigned an arpeggio sequence of 3 to instrument 0.
Honestly I am legit confused by that part.
I updated the main post to include a version with global tuning increased by 50 cents.
-Gamefaqs 2018

PinoBatch

Postby PinoBatch » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:07 am

My fault. I meant duty.
If MMC5/VRC6 is a crutch, then VRC7 is a wheelchair ♿

Applehack

Postby Applehack » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:33 pm

Oh, now I understand.
I tried it and I have to admit it sounds better than before.
I thought I misunderstood something for a second.
-Gamefaqs 2018

Return to “Original Music”