Made an EP

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
renegade723

Made an EP

Postby renegade723 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:56 am

http://agarest.bandcamp.com/album/agarest

Made an EP finally. give it a listen! pretty much just chill chiptune to smoke to.

Teuthida

Re: Made an EP

Postby Teuthida » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:13 pm

Do you have the source .0cc or .ftm module for these songs? People (including me) will have a much easier time going over and reviewing your album if you do.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

renegade723

Postby renegade723 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:55 pm

These should be all the files.
Attachments
DELIRIOUS.ftm
This one is MYSTIC MOON on the EP
(36.21 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Lullaby for Alheli.ftm
(3.15 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
tru luv.ftm
(32.84 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
salamander.ftm
(7.11 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

Teuthida

Postby Teuthida » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:55 pm

I'm liking quite a few of these! They have pretty neat melodic ideas, and your custom patches do a good job of conveying that 'music to smoke to' mood. Actually, they remind me a little bit of a user that used to come here, LokiStriker (this is a good thing). My main problem with your songs is your sound design and mixing. Your 2A03 instruments are quite basic; when you wanted noise drums, you did a single blast of noise that then cuts off. Making more complex instruments and noise percussion could go a long way towards making this album sound more cohesive and enjoyable. On the VRC7 side of things, you have a tendency to make your songs so loud that the audio clips when multiple instruments are playing. Try lowering all of your VRC7 volume values down by 1 or 2 to avoid this. One other thing I've noticed is your lack of channel economy; that is, getting the most out of your module. When one sound channel isn't doing anything, try making it help out the other channels by adding reverb or similar effects. You can also try doubling instruments to create a fuller sound.
MYSTIC MOON is probably my least favorite of all the modules. None of the parts feel like they work together, and the Pulse 1 bass pattern is extremely loud and harsh compared to the soft VRC7 instruments. Your DPCM usage is fairly interesting, though.
I like Lullaby for Alheli a lot; its chords are interesting and there's a healthy amount of playful dissonance. My one 'problem' is that there's not a lot of polyphony going on. You might want to try making those chords into arpeggios in some parts.
tru luv is good except for the 2A03 parts, which have the sound design problems I talked about earlier.
Salamander is pretty good except for, as with the previous sound, your choice of percussion. The melody's pretty 'cute-sounding', but I wish you did more with it. If I did this song I'd add more percussion tracks to it as the song progressed, but that may not be the mood you're going for.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

renegade723

Postby renegade723 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:36 am

Yeah after listening to the album a couple times i think I'm going to set some more songs to D on the volume. I don't think any of the 2A03 tracks made it to the final cut (besides the noise). I've been trying to find a drum dpcm in the instruments forum but can't really find anything that grabs me so I might just try making a 2A03 with less harsh noise. also I noticed the more I listened it did have a relaxed vibe but the lack of polyphony do make the songs sound a little stale. Been listening to more Mort Garcon and trying to take some ideas from him. I'll take all this into consideration for my next EP. Thanks for the feedback!

arethere

Postby arethere » Mon May 21, 2018 2:21 pm

I listened to your EP and I liked your song salamander so I decided to edit the ftm
Percussion, Bass, effects such as echo/reverb and vibrato and adjusting volume levels (you usually don't go over D in VRC7) can bring out a lot i think
Attachments
salamander.ftm
(15.74 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

Return to “Original Music”