My first FamiTracker original. I know it isn't great.

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
iYamWhatIYam

My first FamiTracker original. I know it isn't great.

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:29 pm

I'm totally new to FamiTracker, and I would like to post my first "song." Here you go.
Attachments
cool original song.ftm
(4.2 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
I have permanently switched to 0CC-FamiTracker. If and when JSR decides to update vanilla FamiTracker at this point is entirely out of the question for me.
YouTube
Twitter

Alexander283

Re: My first FamiTracker original. I know it isn't great.

Postby Alexander283 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:55 pm

You're not really off to a bad start. One can see where you try to go with this, I'll try and reword it a little tomorrow (after my exam) :)
The melody is pretty simple, but I think this is a decent first track.

If you keep learning and improving, you might have potential ^^

za909

Postby za909 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:17 pm

For starters, you used the Megaman toms, actually had a melody, and you weren't aiming too high.
One thing, but almost everyone does this at first, the pulse channels are blasting at full volume, but you'll surely start using volume commands and instruments to control that. The thing is, the triangle can only be on or off, so you have to lower the volume on everything else if you want it to be louder, that's how you balance the volume in your song.
Keep trying, this tells me (and others too) that you'll get the hang of it :)

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:42 pm

Well, I can safely say that this is better that my first song, and I'm not a very good composer, so nice first song!
I did make some edits to address the channel clashing and volume etc.
Attachments
cool original song.ftm
(4.3 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

James_S

Postby James_S » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:57 pm

MiniMacro wrote:Well, I can safely say that this is better that my first song, and I'm not a very good composer, so nice first song!

that did not fix the channel clashing in any way. add a P81 effect to the pulse 2 and it would be fixed.
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:17 am

Oh, ok.
Oopsy.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

iYamWhatIYam

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:51 am

MiniMacro wrote:Well, I can safely say that this is better that my first song, and I'm not a very good composer, so nice first song!

I actually intentionally used octave 3 for both pulse waves, because I wanted that effect. But eh, it's alright! Just not what I thought it would sound like.
I have permanently switched to 0CC-FamiTracker. If and when JSR decides to update vanilla FamiTracker at this point is entirely out of the question for me.
YouTube
Twitter

Potentialing

Postby Potentialing » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:53 pm

Hello! I have a couple of tips to suggest:

- Bass plays a major factor in defining your chords. Notice I sacrificed a lot of the toms so I could put a bass on Triangle. Also notice that I only put the barebones skeleton for the bass, on the downbeat of each measure (until the last pattern, where I polished the skeleton)

- Instead of cutting off notes with --, try using = instead. Add a release envelope to the instrument, so that every time it hits a = release command, it changes from F volume to 4 volume. Also notice that I halved the tempo (with F03) and doubled length of notes (Highlight notation region, Right-click, Expand) so that I can release in-between the faster notes.

- For your longer notes, add some 4xy vibrato after the notes hold out for a while. I like using 483/484 personally, but try not to go too strong on the depth (the y) when playing higher notes! Also, don't forget to disable vibrato on the next note with a 400, too.

- Remember that you can't change the volume on the triangle channel. Because of this, you should avoid using F volume (which is the default, by the way) on your other channels. Try lower volume levels like 9, and pay attention to the green blocks under the channel name: It's the output volume, which is the instrument volume and channel volume combined.

- Try to have a "kick, snare, kick, snare" skeleton going on throughout your song. Feel free to play around and add extra drum notes in-between those, though!

I've attached a modified version to help express what I mean. Good luck, and I hope this helps!

EDIT: ACK. I updated the FTM so now it should work on the latest version of FamiTracker. Sorry about that!
Attachments
cool original song_edit.ftm
(5.98 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

iYamWhatIYam

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:26 pm

Potentialing wrote:Hello! I have a couple of tips to suggest:

- Bass plays a major factor in defining your chords. Notice I sacrificed a lot of the toms so I could put a bass on Triangle. Also notice that I only put the barebones skeleton for the bass, on the downbeat of each measure (until the last pattern, where I polished the skeleton)

- Instead of cutting off notes with --, try using = instead. Add a release envelope to the instrument, so that every time it hits a = release command, it changes from F volume to 4 volume. Also notice that I halved the tempo (with F03) and doubled length of notes (Highlight notation region, Right-click, Expand) so that I can release in-between the faster notes.

- For your longer notes, add some 4xy vibrato after the notes hold out for a while. I like using 483/484 personally, but try not to go too strong on the depth (the y) when playing higher notes! Also, don't forget to disable vibrato on the next note with a 400, too.

- Remember that you can't change the volume on the triangle channel. Because of this, you should avoid using F volume (which is the default, by the way) on your other channels. Try lower volume levels like 9, and pay attention to the green blocks under the channel name: It's the output volume, which is the instrument volume and channel volume combined.

- Try to have a "kick, snare, kick, snare" skeleton going on throughout your song. Feel free to play around and add extra drum notes in-between those, though!

I've attached a modified version to help express what I mean. Good luck, and I hope this helps!

EDIT: ACK. I updated the FTM so now it should work on the latest version of FamiTracker. Sorry about that!

I am currently studying the piece you edited for me. Thanks profusely, and as a side note, I think it sounds great!
YouTube
Twitter

Return to “Original Music”