Collection of Originals [VRC6 - WIP]

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
SpacePantsMan

Collection of Originals [VRC6 - WIP]

Postby SpacePantsMan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:27 am

I've recently been working on a few songs with an 'abandoned lab' kind of theme, and decided to compile them into a single file. A few of the tracks are still Works In Progress, but I'd appreciate any feedback on the ones that are (nearly) finished. I'll probably post a complete version of the file at some point in the future.
Attachments
LabGame.ftm
(271.36 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

MiniMacro

Re: Collection of Originals [VRC6 - WIP]

Postby MiniMacro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:09 pm

Wow.
These are really, really good.
My favorite is Alchemy Lab. It gives off such a creepy, yet rocking feel. Please continue making songs like this.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

Ralph99

Postby Ralph99 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:50 pm

I love these! Complete them, please! :D
Ciao a tutti! :)
YouTube Account

SpacePantsMan

Postby SpacePantsMan » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:54 am

Thanks for the kind words :P. I'll be sure to post a finished version in the future!

decomposinghorse

Postby decomposinghorse » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:41 am

Oh, MAN is this ever good. The title theme sounds almost entirely incredible—although at times, I feel that the triangle wave bass that's present in frames 0A to 0F—though mixing well with the other channels in its current form—could be added to, even with the sawtooth wave's melodic snazzy trotting and the DPCM "kick" unrelentingly slamming in perfect rhythm with such timely force that it's stylishly damning the entire track straight into an intertwining of Castlevania II's The Silence of Daylight and the DuckTales title them. Even without an increased utilization of the triangle channel, the track is still shaking with sinister energy of the grooviest sort.

Tutorial sounds like a track that would be best suited for (other than a tutorial,) a scene with a single detective, actively searching for clues to piece together answers to a known mystery. It sounds like a learning experience in which you're all by yourself and you've got all the time in the world to learn with what you're presented—but should you choose to spend your time poorly and then attempt to brave untold hazards with nothing but your wits and unlimited continues, you'll die a bunch of times.

Alchemy Lab has some of the greatest use of the VRC6's pulse waves, or, hell—it has some of the greatest, fullest sounds which could come out of a Famicom (without utilizing PCM) that I've yet heard, in my (limited) experience with the Famicom music library.
Gracious, this track is great. The lack of the sound that the triangle wave is associated with is preferable in this case, as it is quite a clean sound in contrast to the sounds attributable to the other sounds being generated. The sound that is dominant here is fuzzy, and characteristically, mostly low-fidelity sounding. It's almost as if you created the music (minus the sawtooth) on an old film reel with the help of a sound recording device contemporary to it, and then magically (for the purpose of this comment, anyway) moved it into FamiTracker, where you provided the VRC6's sawtooth. Those pulse waves are COURSING with ghastly atmosphere. And the sawtooth wave? It rocks and rumbles fast, energizing and certainly providing hope to the listener in a situation that would surely otherwise seem insurmountable. After all, summon to mind the prospect of trying to follow through any objective in a haunted, towering laboratory which may as well be so tall that its observable upper half could sway at a 45 degree angle in a stiff breeze, and it would scrape the stone ceilings of high Hell—even if the building's foundation were located in the lowest frozen catacombs of Hell, numerous stories below.
If you picture the lab as a more modern building—a chemistry lab—that consists of only three stories with two of its stories being underground, that could be equally as harrowing a thought, given the music present. Imagine a haunted modern library! The books would be full of pictures, illustrations, descriptions, the words of, and concepts conceived by people who were dead long before we were alive. Then again, I guess this would be even more applicable to an alchemy lab.

Anyhow, if you couldn't tell, I HIGHLY encourage you to continue your impressive efforts on this FTM, and your body of work in general, whatever it may consist of. I've been lurking around for a little less than a year, but this collection of tracks is unmistakably the greatest thing I've heard on these forums so far, if only for the quality relative to the scale of the work. It fits together, it is diverse, it could no doubt DRIVE the listener to achieve success over a rigid and hostile atmosphere, and above all, it is very, very much what someone would call good! I've found myself remembering these tunes over the past few days, which is beyond what I could say about other things I've heard lately, even when I come across ones that are quite good. This is outstanding; please keep it up.

Scomo

Postby Scomo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:54 am

Seriously, this is epic work. I've just made MP3s of several of the tracks and they will now be part of my iPod playlists. Keep it up - I'll be watching closely for that finished version...
There will forever be a special place in my heart for that 8-bit sound.