Desperate Haymaker [2a03+vrc6]

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Solomonster

Desperate Haymaker [2a03+vrc6]

Postby Solomonster » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:55 am

Another song based on an improv I did with my guitar teacher some years ago.

Some of my weakest points I think are plotting song structures and writing transitions; all feedback is appreciated but if anyone has words about those things in particular I'd be real grateful.
Attachments
Desperate Haymaker4.ftm
(120.71 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

Potentialing

Re: Desperate Haymaker [2a03+vrc6]

Postby Potentialing » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:19 am

Wonderful composition! I love the varied sections of the song, and I'm also impressed by the length of the song!

For the most part I don't think there's much feedback I personally can provide here, because most of what I have to say regards personal taste (e.g. Duty Cycle choices, melody, vibrato style [I'd add some delay on some of them], drum fills/solos/etc, volume mixing)

I do wonder about the countermelodies, by the way. I feel like they'd work better if the song had panning, but the NES is mono so perhaps you could try detuning the counter or changing it entirely?

Also, do you think that, instead of having 3-octave leads, you could have two playing different octaves, then have the third channel play the exact same thing as the higher octave, but detune both sharper/flatter with the same duty cycle+volume? I think that might make some cool guitar-like leads... Of course, this is also personal preference.

Finally, the ending looping the last pattern... Perhaps you could make it fade out instead of loop that last row forever? Anyway, really nice job with this song, and I hope to hear more from you soon!

Perhaps you could check these two album/soundtracks out for inspiration? (Bloodrayne has several tracks in that single FTM) Either way, I hope this helps!

DIAD: http://storage.ubiktune.com/music/originals/ubi065-diad-diad-(originals).zip
bloodrayne_betrayal.ftm
(843.94 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Last edited by Potentialing on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:36 am

Wow, this is freaking awesome! It's kinda like multiple great songs with different speeds and styles just fitted together and transitioned between perfectly! I really liked this!
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

Solomonster

Postby Solomonster » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:05 am

Potentialing - Thanks! For the record, I'm totally open to feedback/suggestions based on personal preference.

I don't think I know what you mean by "detuning the counter", could you explain?

"...instead of having 3-octave leads, you could have two playing different octaves, then have the third channel play the exact same thing as the higher octave, but detune both sharper/flatter with the same duty cycle+volume?" Tried that just now and it sounds way better.

"Perhaps you could make it fade out instead of loop that last row forever?" I was too lazy to do that manually in the FTM. I rendered a WAV after I finished it and slapped on a fade out with an audio editor (https://soundcloud.com/brokentoybox/desperate-haymaker). "Anyway, really nice job with this song, and I hope to hear more from you soon!" Count on it!

Already a huge virt fan, but I didn't know about Diad; really amazing! Definitely studying all of this.

Many thanks to both of you for your kind and helpful words, I'll be to sure make use of the insight they've offered.

Potentialing

Postby Potentialing » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:46 am

I'm glad to hear that, and good luck with your future endeavors!

Solomonster wrote:I don't think I know what you mean by "detuning the counter", could you explain?

Oh, my bad! By "counter" I meant to say "countermelody." Sorry for the confusion!