(2A03) A DPCM bass test.

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
iYamWhatIYam

(2A03) A DPCM bass test.

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:57 pm

I made a sort of Mega Man-but-not-really weapon get theme using Sunsoft's DPCM bass set.

A special thanks to FamicomForever for posting the bass .fti!
a sort of weapon get....ftm
(8.23 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
she/they. 20. do not perceive me

Potentialing

Re: (2A03) A DPCM bass test.

Postby Potentialing » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:09 pm

Hey, this is great! I love the 8th-note-off rhythms you have going on here, and it's very catchy: short and sweet!

There are a couple of things I think could be touched upon, though. Particularly:

- Generally speaking, try to make your kick/snares follow a simple "boots and cats and" rhythm. I noticed you already have your snares, but I think this could really use some kicks on the other downbeats.

- In addition to the previous suggestion, perhaps also try to add some hi-hats in-between those kick/snares to make the percussion more lively (I personally feel it should in this context)

- Instead of holding out your notes/cutting them off entirely, try to use lower volume levels (or automate it using = Release) to simulate echo whenever the note "stops playing".

- Try doubling the tempo/rows so you have room to do the previous suggestion!

I've attached an edited FTM to explain what I mean. I also took some of my own liberties in this FTM (like shifting the bass an entire row to fit in the kick/snares on DPCM). Hope this helps!
Attachments
a sort of weapon get...._edit.ftm
(12.83 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

iYamWhatIYam

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:01 pm

Potentialing wrote:Hey, this is great! I love the 8th-note-off rhythms you have going on here, and it's very catchy: short and sweet!

There are a couple of things I think could be touched upon, though. Particularly:

- Generally speaking, try to make your kick/snares follow a simple "boots and cats and" rhythm. I noticed you already have your snares, but I think this could really use some kicks on the other downbeats.

- In addition to the previous suggestion, perhaps also try to add some hi-hats in-between those kick/snares to make the percussion more lively (I personally feel it should in this context)

- Instead of holding out your notes/cutting them off entirely, try to use lower volume levels (or automate it using = Release) to simulate echo whenever the note "stops playing".

- Try doubling the tempo/rows so you have room to do the previous suggestion!

I've attached an edited FTM to explain what I mean. I also took some of my own liberties in this FTM (like shifting the bass an entire row to fit in the kick/snares on DPCM). Hope this helps!

Hey, I'm glad you like it!

And, about those hi-hats and other similar percussion instruments, I have heard about them, but I don't actually know how to make and use them. I am currently looking at the hi-hats in the edit and studying them. Thanks!

Potentialing

Postby Potentialing » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:37 pm

iYamWhatIYam wrote:Hey, I'm glad you like it!

And, about those hi-hats and other similar percussion instruments, I have heard about them, but I don't actually know how to make and use them. I am currently looking at the hi-hats in the edit and studying them. Thanks!

You can make them pretty easily, actually! Just use a quick volume envelope like the one in the edit, then play noise on a higher frequency around B-# to F-# (The higher it is, the more "quiet" it is, but it also slightly changes the timbre of the sound)

Another tip I didn't actually demonstrate well in the edit: Varying channel volume/notes very slightly on those hats can make it sound more "realistic."

iYamWhatIYam

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:46 pm

Potentialing wrote:
iYamWhatIYam wrote:Hey, I'm glad you like it!

You can make them pretty easily, actually! Just use a quick volume envelope like the one in the edit, then play noise on a higher frequency around B-# to F-# (The higher it is, the more "quiet" it is, but it also slightly changes the timbre of the sound)

Another tip I didn't actually demonstrate well in the edit: Varying channel volume/notes very slightly on those hats can make it sound more "realistic."

I was wondering how those hi-hats sounded so real... Hmm...

Thanks for all the advice! It is greatly appreciated, especially by a n00b.