Lucas' Theme

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
iYamWhatIYam

Lucas' Theme

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:07 pm

So, my younger brother helped me make a piece of music, named Lucas' Theme, after him.

All the melody is his doing, and I did the percussion.
Here it is.
Lucas' Theme.ftm
(10.44 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
I have permanently switched to 0CC-FamiTracker. If and when JSR decides to update vanilla FamiTracker at this point is entirely out of the question for me.
YouTube
Twitter

LarryLarington

Re: Lucas' Theme

Postby LarryLarington » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:37 pm

Interesting piece! Cool to hear that you worked on this with your brother. It sounds like a project more for fun, but here are some recommendations if you're looking for edits.

Most of my suggestions have to do with how you notate your tempo and time signature here. Since the piece should start on a upbeat, notating it here as the down beat feels off to me. I would rather create a new beginning frame and only have the upbeat in it for clarity (skipping to the next frame with a Dxx).

Also your use of Fxx is a bit atypical here. Not to say that it doesn't work, but typically you want to set your tempo consistently by either assigning one Fxx or alternating Fxx commands. For that swing into the beat that I think you're looking for, you need a clearer tempo grid in my opinion. It looks a bit random to me.

One more thing -- your first full measure is a 4/4 measure followed by a 7/8 measure. Typically in the beginning of a piece you want your meter to be as clear as possible so that you can make changes later in a piece, so this decision sounds a bit confusing to me. Not sure what the intention was.

All these factors contribute to a muddying of the listener's perception of the down beat. Clarity is extremely important in metered music, so having a grounded structure is very important before you can try to make alterations in this perception.

Keep writing with your brother! Maybe he can come up with more melodies. ;)
Current Project: TBD
Completed: Thunder Force IV - Count Down Continue

Return to “Original Music”