famitracker HELPFUL no KORNER (post here if u want help with yr music)

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
kfaraday

famitracker HELPFUL no KORNER (post here if u want help with yr music)

Postby kfaraday » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:21 pm

ヘルプフル・コーナー こんにちは〜

hello! in a break with the rest of this forum, users get to post here with specific questions about problems they have/where they would like to progress in their music. with other users (hopefully!) providing some useful insight! i've tried this on another forum and it seems to work very well.

hopefully this leads to more musicians finding breakthroughs with their musical issues, as well as a funnel away from unwarranted negativity at people's music in other threads. o. k. here we go

HOW THIS WORKS

for asking questions

• questions can be open-ended, but should have a focus on a problem you would like help with solving. "what do you think this wip needs?" or "how can i continue developing?" is much more useful than "crit my work", for example.
• questions in this thread should be primarily geared towards getting you to where you want to be, not for external validation from your peers. questions like "is this good", or "what do you think" for example, are less constructive than "how do i improve my sense of harmony?", etc.
• questions should be constructive, and ideally positive; "how do i improve at ____" is much more constructive than "why am i bad", for example
• user should give us a sample of their music (particularly if it is to do with a specific song) so we can understand how your problems pertain to you as an individual.

for giving insights

• keep your insights focused squarely on the user's music~ and preferably on their topic of choice. keep in mind that you're helping the user get to where they want to be! not simply to mirror your own tastes. understand where they are coming from/going to musically as you construct your dialogue with them~
• spend a lot of time on yr responses, so that they are well-thought out and useful to the user you are responding to. basically, your responses should have content that can be used to construct a meaningful dialogue with the person asking the question~ expect that the musician will respond to your questions, and be able to defend/elaborate your thoughts accordingly
• responses can be a stream-of-consciousness/open-ended if you like/feel it better puts across your advice. write what you think your user would be grateful to receive as insight

(i give full rights to jrlepage who can do whatever he likes to this thread if it breaks the rules. also my body)

SamW

Re: famitracker HELPFUL no KORNER (post here if u want help with yr music)

Postby SamW » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:09 pm

i love the idea of this thread but other than "how do i stop losing my patience with trackers" i don't really have much to ask here

but!! i'd love to see this in the general talk so it can be related to any of our questions on whatever medium! as i have a lot of stuff i'd like to ask but wouldn't be appropriate in this board
ym2612 extraordinaire, metal & edm producer, professional weeblord, head over heels for harumi

twitter
soundcloud
super famidev

kfaraday

Postby kfaraday » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:10 pm

yeah, that sounds good! i'll wait for a mod to move this thing

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:40 pm

I have moved it now. I'd like to see what comes out of this thread.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

kfaraday

Postby kfaraday » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:53 pm

awesome, thank you!

kfaraday

Postby kfaraday » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:13 am

actually, on second thoughts: any chance of moving it back? occurred to me that musicians posting their work are far more likely to click across this thread there than here~ would be nice to have as a fixture (even if it welcomes more "cover"/general-oriented questions)

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:12 pm

Hahah well, there ya go then, it's moved back.

For this specific thread, I'd say don't worry about responses that don't have to do with original music, despite being in this board.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

snowolf

Postby snowolf » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi, I need some advices for a track I'm currently working on. :D

This is the first time I'm doing a cover with only my ears and audacity as a reference, and it's pretty hard for some parts. It's a track from the game vvvvvv.

Here is the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yRSkV9Bmhw

So here are my questions:

At frames 04 and 06, I put some notes of the track in the triangle channel because I lacked space but it sound wrong and I don't know how to fix it. Maybe by switching it on one of the pulse channel?

Frame 07 doesn't sounds right. There's probably severals off-pitch notes but I can't put my finger on it.

I'm not sure about drums and FDS instruments. I tried to avoid DPCM because I don't like those compressed samples.

That is probably a lot of question for only 40 seconds of music, but the rest isn't much different.

Thanks in advance to those who can help me!

EDIT: uploaded a 4.6 compatible version.
EDIT2: changed a little frame 04 and 06 triangle channel, it sound a bit better now.
Attachments
Paced energy WIP v4_6.ftm
(7.51 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

snowolf

Postby snowolf » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:57 pm

Is this thread still open? I'm on a new project and I would appreciate some help!

Here is my Megalovania WIP cover.

I think volume balance and some chords are off but I can't put my finger on it.
Attachments
Megalovania WIP.ftm
(28.17 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

Return to “Original Music”