MM's doodles thread

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
MiniMacro

MM's doodles thread

Postby MiniMacro » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:42 pm

Alright, I'm going to post every original in here from now on.
Please, criticism, comments, concerns, questions, free cookies etc.
Attachments
Son.ftm
(3.86 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Frogoten Aera.ftm
(11.07 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Stylish Beats.ftm
(4.77 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

MiniMacro

Re: MM's doodles thread

Postby MiniMacro » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:13 pm

yey another doodle
Attachments
Fight.ftm
yey
(6.21 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:33 pm

Son is actually pretty good. Gets a bit dissonant here and there, but you've got a decent melody and percussion line going.

Also, Frogoten Aera sounds like a Hummer Team bootleg. If that's what you were going for, you hit the nail right on the head. All it needs is a crappy bassline. :P
Last edited by Overlord99 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:35 pm

Thank you! I actually wrote it as a tribute to TechEmporium, but then I realized no.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com

Lum

Postby Lum » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:38 am

Just some thoughts...

"Son" is cool. As Overlord99 said, it does go into some strange, dissonant chords, but it's not bad. I've heard way, way worse, and a bit of dissonance can make for a mysterious atmosphere. If that's what you were trying to do, it works.

"Frogoten Aera"... Well, instrument 00 is pretty cool. The percussion is nice, too. But why are frames 01 and 02 just the two pulses playing the same note at different octaves? (Except at the end of frame 02, where they play the exact same note and clash horribly.) Frames 03-04 are miles better, but could be improved with some harmony. It's not like you're out of options, you never use the triangle at all in this song. (Using instrument 00 on the triangle makes a cool whistle sound... just pointing that out.)

As for "Stylish Beats"... Again, the pulses are playing the same note at different octaves. Maybe you're doing that to try and make a strong bass sound, which is OK, but then why is the triangle also playing a bassline here? And it seems to be in a completely different key! Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you added the single N163 wave because you ran out of pulses. IMO, you should get rid of the triangle's notes entirely, move one of your pulses to it, and then move the N163 notes to your newly freed up pulse wave. There you go, now you no longer need an expansion chip! (Unless you want to use it to create extra harmonies or effects. As long as that doesn't entail playing the same note on another octave.)

And finally, "Fight". It starts off promising enough, until you introduce the DPCM and noise. Now, those are actually fine, but why do you have the triangle playing a different drum beat at the same time? If you want to use a tone to enhance the drums, it should complement the noise/DPCM. Here, it wants to do something totally different, as if there's a drum battle going on. And then frame 3 comes in, where you have the pulses playing completely identical notes. At least you added a vibrato on pulse 2 so that they only clash some of the time. Yikes.

I'm noticing two common issues here. First, instead of making harmonies or chords, you tend to make both pulses play the same note, either on different octaves or the same. If harmonies aren't your thing, you should try making echoes or choruses. The second issue is bizarre uses of the triangle. The only time it actually benefits the music is in "Son", the other times it either did nothing or made things worse. I know it doesn't have a volume control, but it's still a tone! The NES doesn't have many of them!

I really do think you can make good music, you're just doing some weird things that ultimately detract from the quality. Try different things, seek out honest criticism, figure out what works and what doesn't. Oh, and make sure you've read the wiki thoroughly.

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:00 am

Thanks, Lum!
Now, Frogoten Aera is a Hummer Team version of my song "Forgotten Areas" that I posted here recently. I sort of did this bootleg version as a joke.

As for the others, Frame 02 in "Fight" was made after I started a cover of the Klax title theme, which does actually use identical notes on both pulses. I thought it sounded cool at the time.
Stylish Beats update (and Frogoten Aera):
Attachments
Frogoten Aera.ftm
Now with unfitting, crappy bassline!
(11.86 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Stylish Beats.ftm
2A03
(4.3 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com

Lum

Postby Lum » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:55 am

MiniMacro wrote:Now, Frogoten Aera is a Hummer Team version of my song "Forgotten Areas" that I posted here recently. I sort of did this bootleg version as a joke.

Ohhhh... I get it now. Great job on it, then, especially with the update :lol:

MiniMacro wrote:As for the others, Frame 02 in "Fight" was made after I started a cover of the Klax title theme, which does actually use identical notes on both pulses. I thought it sounded cool at the time.

I listened to Klax title theme. I'm not sure which part you were covering, but it sounds like they either used the chorusing technique I linked to earlier, or have the pulses playing on different octaves. So you're right, they are playing the same note, just not at the exact same frequency. (Although at one point near the middle it does play identical notes, then quickly corrects itself. I wonder why they did that.)

One more thing, I listened to the Stylish Beats update. It's cool that you got it down to 2A03, but I still don't understand what the triangle is doing. The song seems to be in the key of D, but the triangle is playing in C. I guess you can't really hear it over the DPCM anyway, but it still seems a little odd. Is there a reason you wrote it this way?

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:44 am

I think (since SB is quite old) I was trying something out that I saw when looking at the triangle of a Mega Man ? song but didn't get it quite right.
The Klax title theme starts off with the same notes on both pulses.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com

8BitZtunerYT

Postby 8BitZtunerYT » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:25 pm

I guess C is MiniMacro's favourite note judging from his posts in general.
slowly ceasing to exist.
"8BitZ caresses his keyboard as he orgasms to the sounds of Winamp."
-retrodpc, 2015

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:04 am

I'm not exactly sure where to take this one as of now.
Attachments
Super Epic Boss.ftm
(11.52 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com