Transacted Soul (VRC6)

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
MechaGrapefruit

Transacted Soul (VRC6)

Postby MechaGrapefruit » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:13 am

Another song for a prospective OST - comments are appreciated, and I do my best to implement suggestions. I think the triplets are slightly imperfect, but I'm on the fence about how ultimately harmful that is - I kind of like the off kilter sound they have.
Transacted Soul.ftm
Here's the thing.
(23.35 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
This is a haiku
About robotic citrus -
Bleep bloop, bleep bleep bloop.

Potentialing

Re: Transacted Soul (VRC6)

Postby Potentialing » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:25 am

Fantastic work here! Great job with the bassline, and I like the mixing! I notice you've been using VRC6 more, and you make some really nice use of the extra voices! I love your duty cycle choices throughout the song, and the light vibrato/slight detuning playing on each note adds a nice flavor/depth to the sound design too.

I noticed you end your drum patterns with some variety, although I feel like in general it could use more variety. (I am often guilty of this myself actually, hah) I'd also suggest trying to put a Z00 on every kick/snare note playing on DPCM.

Do you also think you can bump the tempo back to 150 instead of having it at 148? I don't think it's so much the triplets more than it is the song's tempo hiccuping throughout the piece due to uneven tempo/speed values. Most people probably wouldn't notice it, though, so it's probably not a big deal. (Live performers wouldn't be perfectly on tempo either, so I guess there's that too)

Of course, everything I've suggested are personal preferences: I think this song is pretty much solid, and there's not really much to say without altering the style/performance of the song (e.g. instrument choices, using different vibrato values, grace notes/flourishes, etc). I like this song, and I'm looking forward to your future stuff!

ollaxe

Re: Transacted Soul (VRC6)

Postby ollaxe » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:19 pm

This sounds really cool! I really like it.

Potentialing wrote:I'd also suggest trying to put a Z00 on every kick/snare note playing on DPCM.
But a zoo would never fit there...
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.