Original VRC6: "Against All Odds" by Project

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Project

Original VRC6: "Against All Odds" by Project

Postby Project » Mon May 11, 2015 7:37 am

This one I poured my heart and soul into.

However I am not satisfied with the volume of the channels.

Still I present it for you.
Attachments
Against All Odds.ftm
(25.12 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

mtmbTomSmith

Re: Original VRC6: "Against All Odds" by Project

Postby mtmbTomSmith » Mon May 11, 2015 3:19 pm

I wish i could more eloquently say how pretty it is.
As simple as it is, instrument 05 really stands out. What a neat little chirp.

I do have to ask, why do you (and everyone, it seems) like to double up triangle with sawtooth? It makes the bass a little thicker, but you can't do anything fancy with the volume on sawtooth when you do it. I pretty much don't use triangle at all in my vrc6 stuff, for that reason, and have always wondered why people seem to like sacrificing audible volume control on sawtooth to beef it up with triangle.

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Mon May 11, 2015 8:05 pm

mtmbTomSmith wrote:I wish i could more eloquently say how pretty it is.

I do have to ask, why do you (and everyone, it seems) like to double up triangle with sawtooth? It makes the bass a little thicker, but you can't do anything fancy with the volume on sawtooth when you do it. I pretty much don't use triangle at all in my vrc6 stuff, for that reason, and have always wondered why people seem to like sacrificing audible volume control on sawtooth to beef it up with triangle.

I can't speak for anyone else but I know I do it for the sake of stronger basslines, often times putting the saw on a lower octave to get an octave harmony bassline. It works wonders, but I do agree that the sawtooth is too often underutilized in VRC6 stuff (I am guilty as well)

Project

Postby Project » Tue May 12, 2015 2:13 am

mtmbTomSmith wrote:I wish i could more eloquently say how pretty it is.

To be perfectly honest with you, I can't really find much to do with the sawtooth as a lead. It just doesn't sound that nice to me, I'd rather have it play the bassline on octave 0 to really reinforce the Triangle on octave 2.

Though, on my cover of the theme from "COSMOS: A Personal Voyage" on this forum, I used the sawtooth for a sound effect- birds on the beach.

It's a mixed bag for me, sometimes I use the sawtooth for stuff, but most of the time its relegated to doubling up the bassline.

I got the idea for the octave trill on Instrument 05 from Rob Hubbard's game "Commando". The highscore song in particular has an instrument with an octave trill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLp8ErRj8s0

mtmbTomSmith

Postby mtmbTomSmith » Tue May 12, 2015 2:38 am

To both Threxx and Project, that seems to be the common opinion. I did the same for a while, but found that the triangle channel, used as a bassline drowned everything else in my vrc6 pieces out. I don't tend to go louder than 8 volume anymore, on all the instruments, and totally neglect using triangle at all, though i'm starting to wonder if it's more a problem related to my dpcm samples being too quiet, rather than all the other instruments being too loud.

As for using sawtooth as an instrument, it can be a really interesting lead, but really doesn't have that signature sound you get from 2a03 v00, v01 and v02. I stick it together with v07 open fifths for a pretty ok guitar sound.

Anyway, not to derail discussion on the piece at hand here, but thanks for your input guys!

Project

Postby Project » Tue May 12, 2015 2:49 am

mtmbTomSmith wrote:To both Threxx and Project, that seems to be the common opinion. I did the same for a while, but found that the triangle channel, used as a bassline drowned everything else in my vrc6 pieces out. I don't tend to go louder than 8 volume anymore, on all the instruments, and totally neglect using triangle at all, though i'm starting to wonder if it's more a problem related to my dpcm samples being too quiet, rather than all the other instruments being too loud.

As for using sawtooth as an instrument, it can be a really interesting lead, but really doesn't have that signature sound you get from 2a03 v00, v01 and v02. I stick it together with v07 open fifths for a pretty ok guitar sound.

Anyway, not to derail discussion on the piece at hand here, but thanks for your input guys!

Hey, any time. I'm fairly new to the whole Famitracker thing, but I am not new to music in general. I take a lot of inspiration from Commodore games as well as non-video game music.

I usually run everything at full volume F, so generally speaking I don't have the problem of Triangle drowning out sound.

However, my DPCM samples are often very quiet compared to everything else- perhaps I should start doing what you do and putting everything at 8 and ignoring the Triangle which is stuck at F anyway.

footprints420

Postby footprints420 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:50 am

This is righteous, dude! Digging those chords.
Kuwabara, kuwabara....welcome to my unit, and to my hotbox.
Check out my Soundcloud profile (∩の ͜> の)⊃━☆゚. * ・ 。゚ https://soundcloud.com/footprints2014
And my bandcamp https://footprints919.bandcamp.com

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Wed May 13, 2015 2:37 pm

I'm impressed by how fast you are able to make all these great tracks! I just think the end is a little abrupt, but other than that, this is fantastic!
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

///CH3DD4R/_

Postby ///CH3DD4R/_ » Fri May 15, 2015 5:22 pm

A bit short, but what IS there is AWESOME. This is one of the best songs I've heard in a while. So far, you've managed to post 2 AWESOME songs, yet, I still got that feeling I get when I know something's gonna be good when I saw you posted something. Keep it up!
int main() {
}