Working on an OST - Constructive Criticism wanted!

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Overlord99

Re: Working on an OST - Constructive Criticism wanted!

Postby Overlord99 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:35 am

While it's clear that you have the technicalities of FamiTracker and the basic fundamentals of music creation (like volume control and instrumentation) down to a tee, I have to agree with most everyone else and say that these songs are rather repetitive and get draining to listen to after a while. I'm not expert on originals myself, but I would go by this rule of thumb: It's generally not a good idea to leave almost all the numbers in your frame editor the same thing for several frames at a time across several channels. HertzDevil exemplified this rather well with his post.

I think this has tons of potential to be amazing, but the musicality of the whole thing could use some work. You are off to a good start, though.

Highway Man

Postby Highway Man » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:57 pm

Overlord99 wrote:While it's clear that you have the technicalities of FamiTracker and the basic fundamentals of music creation (like volume control and instrumentation) down to a tee, I have to agree with most everyone else and say that these songs are rather repetitive and get draining to listen to after a while. I'm not expert on originals myself, but I would go by this rule of thumb: It's generally not a good idea to leave almost all the numbers in your frame editor the same thing for several frames at a time across several channels. HertzDevil exemplified this rather well with his post.

I think this has tons of potential to be amazing, but the musicality of the whole thing could use some work. You are off to a good start, though.

(Shit, accidentally hit flag! :P)
Thinking of re-doing it, because there's really no easy way of fixing it. And I think I found a solution - I need to stop setting the sheet length to 128. This literally doubles the song length, so it's the first on my cut list. I'm going to set a number of limits right now -
song length min. - 1:30
normal song length max - 4:00
important song max - 7:00 (This will only be for 1 - 2 songs, probably final boss tune)
So now I know what I need - lengthy, but not TOO lengthy songs that have varying melodies and basslines (and maybe even times signatures.)
The reason why I wanted long songs is because I'm honestly sick of devs getting away with really short and annoying tunes, I just hate it. However, I've discovered that with the way I've been writing songs, I'm not doing any better - in fact, worse in some ways. I've been extremely selfish in how I write these, refusing to listen to anything but praise. This has really helped me, thanks all of you contributing.
the artist formerly known as highway guy
now known as pulsebot

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:08 pm

I suggest making a ~6 frame song to start off with, and then instead of working on multiple songs at once, once you get a new idea for a melody, figure out how to work that into the tune, and once you feel the tune is complete, then add the finishing touches and that's one song. This way, it's higher quality and less repetitive.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

Highway Man

Postby Highway Man » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:16 pm

MiniMacro wrote:I suggest making a ~6 frame song to start off with, and then instead of working on multiple songs at once, once you get a new idea for a melody, figure out how to work that into the tune, and once you feel the tune is complete, then add the finishing touches and that's one song. This way, it's higher quality and less repetitive.

That's a great idea. I generally just make up new melodies that go along, but it would be a great idea to do what you said.
now known as pulsebot

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:21 pm

Thank you!
I used to think the Eurostyle formula was to make a running arp, a duty chinging pulse bass, and a drumbeat and there you have it.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:45 pm

Highway Man wrote:Thinking of re-doing it, because there's really no easy way of fixing it. And I think I found a solution - I need to stop setting the sheet length to 128. This literally doubles the song length, so it's the first on my cut list. I'm going to set a number of limits right now -
important song max - 7:00 (This will only be for 1 - 2 songs, probably final boss tune)
So now I know what I need - lengthy, but not TOO lengthy songs that have varying melodies and basslines (and maybe even times signatures.)
The reason why I wanted long songs is because I'm honestly sick of devs getting away with really short and annoying tunes, I just hate it. However, I've discovered that with the way I've been writing songs, I'm not doing any better - in fact, worse in some ways. I've been extremely selfish in how I write these, refusing to listen to anything but praise. This has really helped me, thanks all of you contributing.

I would rethink these limits if this music is being composed for a video game.

How long would a player spend in a stage? Are the stages long enough to warrant 4 minute long songs? And how long will players spend fighting bosses? Is there enough gameplay content to warrant a 7 minute final boss theme?

If the answer to this is yes, then continue, but otherwise, consider these "limits" a bit more carefully. Having nearly finished one of my own projects, I can say that our longest stage theme clocks in at about 1:45, just above your minimum song length.

It all depends on the game of course. I would also warn against setting limits for yourself; one should develop a sense of when a song is complete, without the need for such strains on creativity.

Highway Man

Postby Highway Man » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:03 am

Threxx wrote:
Highway Man wrote:Thinking of re-doing it, because there's really no easy way of fixing it. And I think I found a solution - I need to stop setting the sheet length to 128. This literally doubles the song length, so it's the first on my cut list. I'm going to set a number of limits right now -

I would rethink these limits if this music is being composed for a video game.

How long would a player spend in a stage? Are the stages long enough to warrant 4 minute long songs? And how long will players spend fighting bosses? Is there enough gameplay content to warrant a 7 minute final boss theme?

If the answer to this is yes, then continue, but otherwise, consider these "limits" a bit more carefully. Having nearly finished one of my own projects, I can say that our longest stage theme clocks in at about 1:45, just above your minimum song length.

It all depends on the game of course. I would also warn against setting limits for yourself; one should develop a sense of when a song is complete, without the need for such strains on creativity.

It's going to be an RPG. I think a 7-minute final boss tune would be fitting, since those generally take long to beat.
now known as pulsebot

Highway Man

Postby Highway Man » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:49 am

Re-did the title theme. It's around 2:35, so it's an average length. I also tried to vary the basslines, and threw in a quick change to 3/4 to signal the start of the chorus, where the game's main theme comes in. It's not perfect, but it should at least be tolerable.
Samples are taken from Adventures of Lolo 4 and Contra Force.
Attachments
Ein Bond im Wandel der zeiten.ftm
(24.28 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
now known as pulsebot

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:41 am

MiniMacro wrote:I suggest making a ~6 frame song to start off with, and then instead of working on multiple songs at once, once you get a new idea for a melody, figure out how to work that into the tune, and once you feel the tune is complete, then add the finishing touches and that's one song. This way, it's higher quality and less repetitive.

... Did MiniMacro just give actually good advice? :shock:
sorryi'mnotsorry :[

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:43 am

Highway Man wrote:Re-did the title theme. It's around 2:35, so it's an average length. I also tried to vary the basslines, and threw in a quick change to 3/4 to signal the start of the chorus, where the game's main theme comes in. It's not perfect, but it should at least be tolerable.
Samples are taken from Adventures of Lolo 4 and Contra Force.

This is much better! It's really nice to hear some chord progressions here, this makes the song far more enjoyable!