Megaman Fan Game OST

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
BeatMan.EXE

Megaman Fan Game OST

Postby BeatMan.EXE » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:24 pm

I've started to work on an original game with Copy Robot as the villain instead of Wily. I might even use an original character I created a while back instead of Mega Man!!! Not sure if that'll be the final result, but we'll see in time...
Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone approves of the OST I've prepared so far! Comment if ya' feel the need! :D

NOTICE:
This is the most recent OST version. I've added some new tracks thanks to the help of my good friend dr.devil.
Thanks, bro!
Last edited by BeatMan.EXE on Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Instant success teaches nothing.
There's no better teacher than failure.

BeatMan.EXE

Megaman Fan Game

Postby BeatMan.EXE » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:26 pm

Here's the current version!
Added some new tracks by dr.devil.
Attachments
MegaMan - The Rise of Roll.ftm
Most Recent 1-7-16
(330.65 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Last edited by BeatMan.EXE on Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Threxx

Re: ProtoMan Game OST

Postby Threxx » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:10 pm

The sound design in this OST is very basic. The noise instruments are loud, raw, and somewhat obnoxious at time, and the use of regular notecuts rather than more timed Sxx cuts is jarring. All of the songs are quite loud and need much better volume balancing.

The intro theme is quite loud. Employ better volume balancing. The vibrato envelope on instrument 01 is also rather obnoxious sounding.

The tempo changing in the intro to Critical Man's theme is not particularly Mega Man styled, and neither is the use of the occasional triangle leads. Some of the pitch bends are also noticeably dissonant; maybe make some of them faster.

The complete absence of the second pulse channel in significant parts of Beat Man's theme is very bland, fill this in with some kind of counter melody. The later part of the song is also quite horribly balanced, but the melody and chord progression here are good.

Frankly I'm not sure what Classic Man's theme is trying to be. It's all over the place, and the previous criticisms of the sound design still apply.

The intro to the Wily 1-2 theme could benefit if you used proper harmonies rather than just octaves.

The root note on "Never Gets Old..." should be G-4, not E-4. If you are going to claim something never gets old then at least accurately replicate the note sequence.

And I'm going to cease the song-by-song critique here because I don't want to repeat myself. You clearly have an understanding of harmony and theory from these songs, but the sound design is very poor. In good sound design, I'm sure many of these compositions could flourish, as it stands now, it's not very pleasant to listen to.

Also the name of song #6 is inaccurate. Robot Masters have reached the moon before.

BeatMan.EXE

Postby BeatMan.EXE » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:43 am

OK... some things obviously need some work here.

I'll definitely need to fix the intro volume... and I think I just had an idea on how to improve the overall sound...

I think I'll take out the tempo change for Critical Man's Theme. It sounds really cool, but you're right: not very Mega Man-y.

I'll get a second pulse set up for Beat Man. I'll also tweak the noise a bit, 'cause I don't like the sound of it... Maybe on the 2nd part where it's "horribly balanced" I could lower the volume of the background pulse and maybe cut each note of half-way instead of a constant sound.

I'll post the sprite of Classic Man. I wanted his stage theme to have a wacky, chaotic vibe. It needs to be longer as well, I think.

I actually changed the game from it being Dr. Wahwee (teehee) to the villain being Copy Robot. Remember, I'm still workin' out the kinks. I'll definitely add a harmony to the main pulse.

As for song #6... I'm fully aware of that. I didn't have a better title at the time XP.
#StarMan #GalaxyMan #CometWoman #I STINK AT THIS!!!

Overall, it needs a crap-ton of work; which I'll get to asap.
Thanks!!! BeatMan.EXE

BeatMan.EXE

Postby BeatMan.EXE » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:45 am

BOOM. DONE. :D
Attachments
Classic Man.png
WHOOP, DERE IT IS!!!
Classic Man.png (1.09 KiB) Viewed 2262 times

BeatMan.EXE

Postby BeatMan.EXE » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:47 am

Ok... for some stupid reason, it posted another comment i made on my OST to ANOTHER post i made in Cover Music. (facepalm)
It just said that this album is incomplete, and i'm open to criticism and suggestion. Sry XP.

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:40 am

Suggestion for the noise channel: use the noise drums from Mega Man 3, 5, and 6.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

BeatMan.EXE

Postby BeatMan.EXE » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:55 pm

Sounds great! MM3 is without a doubt my fav of the series. I can beat all 8 robots w/ their weaknesses in like an hour!
I do have a question for anyone how has an answer: is there some kind of template I could use for making authentic-sounding mega man music?
One problem I find I have is getting the sounds of the instruments JUST right...

BeatMan.EXE

Postby BeatMan.EXE » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:30 pm

Ok... I've decided to take a fresh approach. I actually have the effects list open on a word document (LAWL) and I'm using the instruments from the demo song "2A03_Kevvviiinnn-Superfusion". I know that this Kevvviiinnn guy made several of the themes for Mega Man Unlimited, the BEST fan made Mega Man EVER, in my opinion, so it only makes sense that I'd use those instruments.
I went ahead and made the first stage theme and I think it came out pretty well, but I'd like a second opinion.
Oh, and I've decided that instead of proto man being the hero, it's Roll instead. How original, am I right? 03o
I'm thinking about the story line posing the question of how things would have been different if Rock WASN'T the one who stepped up to the plate and donned that legendary blue helmet. :)
Attachments
Megaman - The Rise of Roll.ftm
:D
(27.82 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:50 pm

You still don't understand how good instrumentation works. (I also took the liberty of changing one of the notes which was very odd on Pulse 1.)

Also, the double and triple posting is getting ridiculous. Use the "edit" button.
Attachments
polarwoman.ftm
(5.17 KiB) Downloaded 122 times