Kirby's Dream Land 3 - Grass Land 1 [VRC6]

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Dr. Merio

Kirby's Dream Land 3 - Grass Land 1 [VRC6]

Postby Dr. Merio » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:14 pm

I've been really slow at making music lately because I'm busy with irl stuff hedeeh -_-!

Anyway, here's a cover of Grass Land 1 from Kirby's Dream Land 3. This is the song that plays in the first stage in the game, which is a great song imo. What I like about this game's OST is that it really fits the theme of the game, and the songs are usually very chill and relaxed.

I'd like to hear your opinions on this! Is the volume balancing alright, or is there anything too loud or too quiet? If there's anything I can fix, let me know! I want this cover to be well-polished overall.

[Original song]

This FTM is compatible with 0.4.6, but there's an NSF too, in case someone finds it useful.
Attachments
Kirby's Dream Land 3 Grass Land 1.ftm
(63.31 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Kirby's Dream Land 3 Grass Land 1.nsf
(22.75 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

Overlord99

Re: Kirby's Dream Land 3 - Grass Land 1 [VRC6]

Postby Overlord99 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:04 pm

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I really love this cover. It's super accurate and sounds wonderful. I don't hear any volume balancing issues. Fantastic cover!!

PostApocolyptica

Postby PostApocolyptica » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:31 pm

A groove of { 3 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 } (probably) feels more natural.
Sarumi is best ship; confirmed and manifested.

YouTube
Twitter
SoundCloud

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:37 pm

Overlord99 wrote:Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I really love this cover. It's super accurate and sounds wonderful. I don't hear any volume balancing issues. Fantastic cover!!

Thanks dude!

PostApocolyptica wrote:A groove of { 3 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 } (probably) feels more natural.

It would essentially be the same tempo (maybe?), but the reason I use sequences like { 2 3 2 3 } instead of { 3 2 3 2 } is because I get more room on the second row to place volume delays and stuff like that.
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:08 pm

Another great cover. That subtle vibrato really captures the kirby sound, I think.
Fan of:
Cave Story, Mega Man X, MOTHER 3, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Shining Force.
Classic SEGA, Treasure, Square, Falcom.
Various roguelike RPGs and shmups/bullet hells.
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:22 pm

Thank you! There's really a lot more things that characterize the typical Kirby style, the instrumentation being just one of them. I find this stuff really interesting.
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:02 pm

Wow, this is great! It's really accurate and you really captured the Kirby 3 feel! I also really enjoyed how you balanced the volume. I also must say that I really like the way you implemented the snare things, with the noise and all, that makes them sound really crisp, even though they're samples.

There are some wavelengths I would change out though. The most notable examples are the lead between frame 06-09 that imo should be more round, and the bass instrument which imo should be more "pointy"/less round. I also think that the flutes in the beginning (frame 01-05) releases a tiny bit too late.

But those are just small nitpicks, that most people won't even notice nor really care about hehe. :P

This is really top notch, just like all of your covers of songs from Kirby! Keep it up!
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

danooct1

Postby danooct1 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:33 pm

i feel this is mixed a tad too loud on some channels but otherwise good
famiTRACKER

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:23 pm

ollaxe wrote:Wow, this is great! It's really accurate and you really captured the Kirby 3 feel! I also really enjoyed how you balanced the volume. I also must say that I really like the way you implemented the snare things, with the noise and all, that makes them sound really crisp, even though they're samples.

DPCM percussion without some noise is lousy DPCM percussion as scientifically and objectively proven by the International Institute of DPCM™ (totally not me hmmhmmhmm).

ollaxe wrote:There are some wavelengths I would change out though. The most notable examples are the lead between frame 06-09 that imo should be more round, and the bass instrument which imo should be more "pointy"/less round. I also think that the flutes in the beginning (frame 01-05) releases a tiny bit too late.

I preferred to leave the lead as V04 for some odd reason. V07 would've probably been good but it sounds good right now imo. Also I'd rather leave the bass like that too; it would sound kinda lousy with a shorter wavelength, and the late releases are a design choice. I prefer longer fade-outs rather than sudden ones. :P

Thanks for your comments!

danooct1 wrote:i feel this is mixed a tad too loud on some channels but otherwise good

I kinda feel the same about some of the channels. Which are the ones you found too loud? Also thanks!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:45 pm

Dr. Merio wrote:and the late releases are a design choice. I prefer longer fade-outs rather than sudden ones. :P

I think you misunderstood. I meant that they should start fading out slightly earlier. Did you really think I had already forgotten that you prefer longer fade-outs? Hehe :P
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.