The Smurfs (NES) - Act 1 [N163 experiment]

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Overlord99

The Smurfs (NES) - Act 1 [N163 experiment]

Postby Overlord99 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:00 pm

This song has been stuck in my head for a long while, and for some reason I keep hearing it in a Commodore 64 style when I listen to it in my head. I figured I'd be a little creative with the N163 chip and try to emulate the SID chip as authentically as possible. That meant only three sounds playing at any given time, therefore no using the noise channel and bass at the same time. Sooooo I tried to create makeshift kick and snare instruments using 32-step N163 waves. I'd say it went pretty well. Thoughts?

... I swear this is the last time I'll be editing this.
Attachments
El senor Gonzalez es el esposo mejor.ftm
(8.55 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Last edited by Overlord99 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:20 am, edited 5 times in total.

ollaxe

Re: The Smurfs (NES) - Act 1 [N163]

Postby ollaxe » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:29 pm

Wow, this is pretty cool! I really like how you managed to do the drums in the Namco channels too!

I have some small nitpicks though. The first one is that it is in another key than the original (3 half-notes above, plus that the original is downpitched slightly). The second one is that the snare and kick are a bit too soft. On the snare, try putting downpitched noise in the first engine cycle in the instrument and see if it helps. And the kick needs some bass power to it imo.

Other than that, this is really great! Keep it up!
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

Overlord99

Re: The Smurfs (NES) - Act 1 [N163]

Postby Overlord99 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:16 am

ollaxe wrote:Wow, this is pretty cool! I really like how you managed to do the drums in the Namco channels too!

I have some small nitpicks though. The first one is that it is in another key than the original (3 half-notes above, plus that the original is downpitched slightly). The second one is that the snare and kick are a bit too soft. On the snare, try putting downpitched noise in the first engine cycle in the instrument and see if it helps. And the kick needs some bass power to it imo.

Other than that, this is really great! Keep it up!

The change in pitch was intentional; the Game Boy and Game Gear versions are in different pitches too, you know. :P

As for the percussion, I think I understand what you're saying about it being too soft. I changed it to 100 Hz and fixed the kick and snare to help boost them a bit. That's attached to my original post now, but I'll attach the original to this one in case anyone wants to compare.
Attachments
El senor Gonzalez es el esposo mejor.ftm
Original 60 Hz version
(8.19 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

Highway Man

Re: The Smurfs (NES) - Act 1 [N163 experiment]

Postby Highway Man » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:46 am

The beat and the snare sound really off, at least to me. They sound rather flat...I've edited the percussion and the instruments to have more of a kick.
Attachments
edited.ftm
(8.57 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
the artist formerly known as highway guy
now known as pulsebot

Livoh773

Postby Livoh773 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:22 am

Just to clarify...don't know if it's intentional, but, it's ----- es el *mejor esposo* rather than es el *esposo mejor*. I know a bit of spanish...(native) :mrgreen:

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:51 pm

Highway Man wrote:The beat and the snare sound really off, at least to me. They sound rather flat...I've edited the percussion and the instruments to have more of a kick.

Oh, thank you! This is my first time experimenting with N163 noise, so I couldn't get it to sound exactly right.
Livoh773 wrote:Just to clarify...don't know if it's intentional, but, it's ----- es el *mejor esposo* rather than es el *esposo mejor*. I know a bit of spanish...(native) :mrgreen:

Español es la idioma de los perros! Tú hablas español, puedes comer un zapato!!

Nah, but in all seriousness, thanks for the correction. I've been trying to teach myself Spanish for a while now, and I always thought the sentence structure went "subject-adjective" rather than "adjective-subject" like in English. Where are you from? Is it a regional difference?

Livoh773

Postby Livoh773 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:26 pm

In English you say... the red shirt --- which is A-S. But in Spanish you say la camisa roja which is S-A, you are right. But look at this... in English you say: I am the best player in this court! and its A-S. In Spanish, is the same A-S structure ! as is happening here with the adjective *mejor*. Seems that it depends on the type of adjective you are using. For instance... better or worse ( mejor o peor) , in Spanish, are placed before the subject. But pretty, and craziest, which are also adjectives, go after the subject, like most adjective do ( Yo soy el jugador mas *bonito*) ( Yo soy el jugador mas loco).

There must be some grammar rule out there that we are not taking care of. Meanwhile, just use the contrary of the english structure, as you are doing right now, which is Subject-Adjective. You will be right most of the time. Camisa roja, zapato grande, perro viejo, casa nueva. Myself, right now, I just can think of *mejor* and *peor* as going before the subject. So I suggest you go Subject-Adjective, certainly you will be right most of the time. In some situations you will find Adjective-Subject... like this case!

Spanish is almost the same everywhere. I'm from the Caribbean region, but South American Spanish, Central America spanish and Spain spanish is the same thing all around. We just have different accents. There is this...neutral Spanish which is the one used in films, series and animations dubs, is kind of accent free. Is accepted in America but don't know what Spain thinks of it, they have their distinct accent, Ostia tio!, joder!, most like USA and the UK. Anyway...is the same Spanish , written, you cant point the difference aside from some word changes and uses, but is the same structure, that's my experience which involves Central, South American, Spain and Carribean Spanish interactions...

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:42 pm

Livoh773 wrote:In English you say... the red shirt --- which is A-S. But in Spanish you say la camisa roja which is S-A, you are right. But look at this... in English you say: I am the best player in this court! and its A-S. In Spanish, is the same A-S structure ! as is happening here with the adjective *mejor*. Seems that it depends on the type of adjective you are using. For instance... better or worse ( mejor o peor) , in Spanish, are placed before the subject. But pretty, and craziest, which are also adjectives, go after the subject, like most adjective do ( Yo soy el jugador mas *bonito*) ( Yo soy el jugador mas loco).

Sounds like it has something to do with comparatives and superlatives? Even though I can handle my language pretty well, I don't even know how it works, let alone explaining it to someone else lol. I never actually noticed that detail you mentioned until now (I'm ultra dumb when it comes to grammar).

Livoh773 wrote:Spanish is almost the same everywhere. I'm from the Caribbean region, but South American Spanish, Central America spanish and Spain spanish is the same thing all around. We just have different accents. There is this...neutral Spanish which is the one used in films, series and animations dubs, is kind of accent free. Is accepted in America but don't know what Spain thinks of it, they have their distinct accent, Ostia tio!, joder!, most like USA and the UK. Anyway...is the same Spanish , written, you cant point the difference aside from some word changes and uses, but is the same structure, that's my experience which involves Central, South American, Spain and Carribean Spanish interactions...

Random Chilean guy speaking here, the Spanish here is kinda corrupted and while it still maintains the same structure, a lot of words are pronounced in a different way (like those that end with S's, which you'll often find). Otherwise it probably has as many country-specific variations as everywhere else, so it's pretty normal in that regard (pretty much like how people from the US say "Elevator" while English people say "Lift").

Look up some Chilean swear words for a good laugh. :P
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]