[2a03] Chrono Trigger covers

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
jaxcheese

[2a03] Chrono Trigger covers

Postby jaxcheese » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:10 pm

Figured I'd reupload this here and get a thread going since I continue to update it. Not a lot of new stuff since the last post, though:
Complete cover of Fanfare 1/Lucca's Theme
Tried using some trill instruments instead here since the stacked trills sound pretty gross otherwise. It still sounds pretty gross at parts, actually. Advice? I don't really want to take out any harmony if I can avoid it.
This one's also got an alternate loop from frame 06-09 that uses a three-part trill instrument instead of a two-part trill effect. I added it in after completion but it actually sounds a bit better, I think.
Incomplete cover of Kingdom Trial
Probably not gonna finish this one just because the harmony got so thick and the stacked trills sound gross. If there's anyway to make this sound better I'd love to hear it, but I think it's just too many channels to fit into 2a03. Intro sounds alright, though, so that's the main reason it's in here.
Attachments
ct cover.ftm
(47.93 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Fan of:
Cave Story, Mega Man X, MOTHER 3, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Shining Force.
Classic SEGA, Treasure, Square, Falcom.
Various roguelike RPGs and shmups/bullet hells.
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

jfbillingsley

Re: [2a03] Chrono Trigger covers

Postby jfbillingsley » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Minor notation issue on Lucca's Theme: Frame 0, Row 0x20, Pulse 1 should be E-3, not F-3.

I don't think the Kingdom Trial arps sound too bad! Though you might try using different arp patterns to make them sound less repetitive on the longer notes. Have a look at moviemovies' dancing mad cover if you haven't already, he's got some interesting arps to stack lots of notes on top of each other.

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:09 pm

I listened to that cover once a while ago but I could probably benefit from some closer study.
Thanks for pointing out that error, too. I've been trying to do these by ear, which I'm hoping will be good ear training so I'll be able to pick out those little mistakes more easily in the future.
That said, I took another listen and I'm pretty sure that lower trumpet part is on F and it was actually the higher note of the trill that was the problem. You had the right idea telling me to take it down a half-step though.
Fan of:
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

jaxcheese

2 new covers + minor edits

Postby jaxcheese » Fri May 08, 2015 12:30 am

I haven't had a ton of time to work on this recently, and I've been dedicating more time to original stuff in Pxtone Collage, but I've made a good bit of new stuff so I figured it was time for an update.
New stuff:
Finished Wind Scene
Added the rest of the melody and a suspended cymbal part that was missing for a while. Nothing too special but I'm pretty satisfied with where it is now. Some of the triangle arps at the end are moved around an octave because 00F was too small of an interval to fit the original part. I'll go back and add some instruments for that if arp schemes aren't a thing soon.
Added and completed Robo Gang Johnny
Pretty simple and straightforward, but it sounds great, I think. Not too much crazy stuff to fit this into 2a03, so maybe it's not as impressive as the others, but it sounds pretty natural.
Added WIP People Without Hope
Another fairly repetitive straightforward one, but it's sounding pretty good so far, too.

There's also some insignificant instrument and volume edits throughout.
Enjoy! Criticism appreciated as always.

Forum admins: Is this something I should be editing into my previous post, or into the first post, rather than making a new one? Will it show up as unread content if I do an edit?
Attachments
ct cover.ftm
(60.23 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Last edited by jaxcheese on Fri May 08, 2015 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fan of:
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Fri May 08, 2015 12:37 am

I personally think it's fine to edit the first post to add your new stuff, but you can also attach the latest version to a new post. Just editing it won't bring the thread back to the top though, so if you want to make a major update or something like that, just make a new post. There's no problems with that.

Anyway, I think you forgot to attach your file or something. The songs in the file from the first post are good though, and I'd like to see more.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Fri May 08, 2015 1:30 am

Could've sworn the attachment was on there. I did get a dialog box with "HTTP error" after posting, so maybe it had something to do with that. It's there now.
Fan of:
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

MechaGrapefruit

Postby MechaGrapefruit » Fri May 08, 2015 6:26 am

The string instrument has a lot of vibrato, perhaps distractingly so. But these covers are really good - Secret of the Forest is one of my favorite songs on the SNES, and it's manifested here awesomely.
This is a haiku
About robotic citrus -
Bleep bloop, bleep bleep bloop.

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Fri May 08, 2015 7:07 pm

I'd like to tone down the vibrato but it's already as small as it can get. The loop is | 1 1 0 0 -1 -1 0 0 right now. I guess one point makes a pretty big difference at higher pitches, though. I might get rid of it altogether if it's bothering other people. For now, changing it to | 1 1 1 0 0 0 -1 -1 -1 0 0 0 to slow it a bit, maybe that will help.
Thanks for the compliments, too.
Fan of:
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

MechaGrapefruit

Postby MechaGrapefruit » Fri May 08, 2015 8:56 pm

The vibrato helps, but it tends to end up leaving notes sounding a bit sharp - speeding up the vibrato, either by editing the instrument or using a tracker effect, might help. Just playing around with it, 451 didn't sound bad, but definitely do what sounds best to you.
This is a haiku
About robotic citrus -
Bleep bloop, bleep bleep bloop.

Radnyx

Postby Radnyx » Sat May 09, 2015 12:10 am

jaxcheese wrote:I'd like to tone down the vibrato but it's already as small as it can get. The loop is | 1 1 0 0 -1 -1 0 0 right now. I guess one point makes a pretty big difference at higher pitches, though. I might get rid of it altogether if it's bothering other people. For now, changing it to | 1 1 1 0 0 0 -1 -1 -1 0 0 0 to slow it a bit, maybe that will help.
Thanks for the compliments, too.

What you're doing there isn't reaallllyy the vibrato you want. Imagine it this way:

Code: Select all

----      ---       -
     -   -    -    -
      ---      ---

This is a complex graph demonstrating the pitch of your instrument given the pitch sequence of "| 1 1 0 0 -1 -1 0 0". As you can see it starts off at the desired note, and then proceeds to oscillate around a pitch that's slightly flatter than what you want. The reason for this is because the pitch controller for the instrument is additive (and negative). Meaning that putting a "1" will subtract the 2A03 pitch by 1, slightly flattening the sound, and a "-1" will slightly sharpen it. Putting a "0" doesn't reset it, but instead keeps the pitch where it's at for another tick.

A pitch sequence that you're probably looking for would look more like this: "| 1 0 -1 0 -1 0 1 0"
Here it subtracts the pitch a little, stays for a tick. Goes back up to the original pitch, stays. Sharpens a little, stays. Goes back down, etc.