Yet another Megalovania cover (Undertale) VRC6

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Zeeboon

Yet another Megalovania cover (Undertale) VRC6

Postby Zeeboon » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:16 pm

Soo it's been a really long time since I've been here. Forums seem to have changed quite a bit. Shame really, I liked the old version more. Was easier on the eyes and fit the look of the homepage better.
Anyway I made this thing almost a month ago, when this board probably wasn't as flooded with Undertale covers. :P
VRC6 because I pretty much use it exclusively.
Also if you wanna hear it in stereo I have the slightly edited version on my soundcloud here: https://soundcloud.com/zeeboon/megalovania-cover-undertale with free download for w/e
You'll need 0.5.0 BETA to play the .ftm
megalovania.ftm
bad times ahead
(41.42 KiB) Downloaded 294 times

If anyone has anything to add or any crits feel free.

Highway Man

Re: Yet another Megalovania cover (Undertale) VRC6

Postby Highway Man » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:49 am

It's clear you have great skill, but to me the cover is just...empty. One of the things I loved about the original song is the huge bassline, and how the electric guitars just keep hammering. It was huge and very exciting. Here, there's a lot of holes between notes, and the bass notes are very sparse, which I think defeats one of the best parts of the song.

Another thing that really could be MUCH better is the melody. I think the unique capabilities of the VRC6 channels could really make the melody sound very good, and what the VRC6 channels are used for here could be easily replicated with the two pulse channels. So that's a hugely wasted opportunity.

Sorry if I sound negative or overly harsh - it's a very well done cover, but it's just missing a lot of what made the original so special. Also - I think it would be much easier to use the Axy effect instead of manually marking the volume for each individual row.
the artist formerly known as highway guy
now known as pulsebot

Zeeboon

Postby Zeeboon » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:11 am

Hey man, thanks for the crit. I really don't consider myself to have a lot of skill though.. :P I actually have little knowledge of Famitracker outside of the superficial stuff.
The thing you said about putting the melody in the VRC6 channels is completely true, and I didn't realise it until you mentioned it. Oh well, gotta keep it in mind.
I'm not so sure what you mean by sparse bass notes though. It's true that the bass gets a little overpowered because I sometimes sacrificed one of the dedicated channels for something else. Especially at 1:22 where the percussion drowns it out almost completely, probably shoulda done something about that.
And I dislike using some automated effects because I feel like they don't give me a lot of control over how fast something changes (most likely just me being ignorant though). And the volume doesn't take up much time since I copy-paste constantly.

Highway Man

Postby Highway Man » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:47 am

Zeeboon wrote: I'm not so sure what you mean by sparse bass notes though. It's true that the bass gets a little overpowered because I sometimes sacrificed one of the dedicated channels for something else. Especially at 1:22 where the percussion drowns it out almost completely, probably shoulda done something about that.

I mean that the bass completely cuts out - as in goes down to volume 0. This would be fine except that this empty space between notes lasts FAR too long. A whole step makes the gap between notes very big. It makes the song sound very jaded and jerky. If you want to break up the notes, I recommend using the Sxy effect or putting a 0 at the beginning in the volume section of the instrument editor. This also ties in with manually changing the volume - the manual input of 0 in the song editor takes up an entire step unless it's pushed back by a Gxy effect.
the artist formerly known as highway guy
now known as pulsebot