recme's covers - cave story vrc6

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
recme

Postby recme » Mon May 18, 2015 2:38 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGaHd-btRZU <-- original song

i tried making it faithful to the original song by not really changing anything up. unfortunately, i was unable to rip the drum samples from pxtone, so the drums arent really accurate. the tempo is also a little faster since all the notes would sound uneven when i slowed it down.

more songs are to come...!
Attachments
Kero Blaster - My Precious Days.ftm
(10.57 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Last edited by recme on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

recme

Re: recme's covers - kero blaster vrc6 "my precious days"

Postby recme » Mon May 25, 2015 4:44 am

heres another song i made, which is from zelda, obviously. the accompaniment was omitted because of the limited channels, just to answer that question before its asked. comments and crits would be appreciated!
Attachments
Fairy Fountain.ftm
(110.99 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Mon May 25, 2015 11:26 am

Great job on "My Precious Days"! Sounds close enough to the original, yet its instruments have their own unique feel to them. I would listen to "Fairy Fountain", but it seems to be made in the 0.5 beta (is it really?) and I'm currently having trouble running that on my computer. Will listen, when the issues are fixed. You can also make an NSF of it, if you want.
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.

recme

Postby recme » Mon May 25, 2015 6:04 pm

BioMechanicalDude wrote:I would listen to "Fairy Fountain", but it seems to be made in the 0.5 beta (is it really?) and I'm currently having trouble running that on my computer. Will listen, when the issues are fixed. You can also make an NSF of it, if you want.

it was originally made in 4.6, but i switched on over to 0.5 beta just to test out some of the capabilities that were unrelated to this song. i probably made some quick changes after the switch, so theres that. heres the nsf
Attachments
Fairy Fountain.nsf
(11 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

BioMechanicalDude

Re: recme's covers - fairy fountain 2a03

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Mon May 25, 2015 7:52 pm

Thanks! Awesome remix! The beat makes it feel very adventurous(like if you're trying to cross a river or something), which is pretty cool. And the arpeggios give it a bubbly, watery feel, which nicely fits the title. Maybe there are other remixes, that try that, but this is the first one I've heard, that does, so it feels fresh to me.
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!

recme

Postby recme » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:16 pm

just finished this one today. a totally accurate version of the main theme of cave story! its totally accurate since i'm looked at orgmaker for the most part. my goal is to make all songs from cave story into famitracker, so lets start with this one!

the dpcm + triangle part really hits hard, since all the patterns were different and "unique." also, volume mixing is probably an issue, but that's something ill fix some other day.

comments and crits are appreciated!
Attachments
Cave Story.ftm
(33.65 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

recme

Re: recme's covers - cave story "last battle" vrc6

Postby recme » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:54 pm

another update! i added 3 more songs to the ftm. the main focus is really last battle, since that one is the coolest one there and actually work was put into it, unlike access and balcony.

anyway, i hope you enjoy the songs! critique would be cool!
Attachments
Cave Story.ftm
(67.42 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

BioMechanicalDude

Re: recme's covers - cave story vrc6

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Wow! New covers! Awesome! I haven't played "Cave Story", but I'm gonna listen to the soundtrack now to compare them.
It's very insolent of me, especially considering other people will listen to this stuff as well, but can you still post nsf-s of these songs. I'm still waiting for the full release of 0.5 to come out with it's Windows XP support, but 'till then, I'm stuck with 0.4.6 :( I know it's annoying of me to ask, since pretty much everyone else is using Windows 7 or higher and can listen and comment on these, but I'd like to share my opinion, as well. If you want you don't have to post the nsf-s. It's your choice really.

recme

Postby recme » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:19 pm

well then, i suggest that you download cave story now and play it! it's free to play on pc, so just search it up through the fan website.

and yeah, ill upload the nsf. just give me a moment and ill edit this post.

EDIT: here ya go
Attachments
Cave Story.nsf
(23.13 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:37 pm

Thanks a lot! Anyway, I did some comparing. The "Last Battle" is very well handled, with all the richness of the sound. The rest of the tracks are good too, but you have a lot of unused channels, which you could've used in combination with the others, to create more interesting sounds. "Cave Story"'s soundtrack seems to be going for some wave-table synthesis kind of sound and this would've come in handy. Nevertheless, the covers are really nice. Thumbs up! :D