[2A03] Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - Throne Fights (Graham Boss Fight)

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Baka94

[2A03] Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - Throne Fights (Graham Boss Fight)

Postby Baka94 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:46 pm

This is the music playing during the fight against Graham Jones in Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. It was a pain to make, bit I think it's accurate.

EDIT: Updated attached file to newer version that fixes some parts and adds a bit of improvisation (barely noticeable?)
EDIT2: Made changes suggested by MechaGrapefruit and added some vibratos and portamentos
Attachments
Throne Fights.ftm
v3
(19 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Last edited by Baka94 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGrapefruit

Re: [2A03] Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - Throne Fights (Graham Boss Fight)

Postby MechaGrapefruit » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:35 pm

I've always liked this boss theme. I know it's reviled by many for being too theatrical, but it's pretty melodically interesting, and it has such a "pretender to the throne" vibe.
You've put a lot of work into this. I would suggest working on volume variance - everything is at the default volume, which makes some sections a bit hard to listen to, and overpowers some of the accompaniment, especially from the triangle channel. Additionally, detune one channel when they are playing the same note - some use of the P00 effect (within a P7E-P81 variance) would help make these sections sound a bit better, because as you may hear, weird things happen when Famitracker plays the same note, and it can be hard to hear both channels at the same time. I'm sure somebody else has a more technical explanation as to exactly why it sounds jarring. This said, nice work!
This is a haiku
About robotic citrus -
Bleep bloop, bleep bleep bloop.

Baka94

Postby Baka94 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:41 am

MechaGrapefruit wrote:I'm sure somebody else has a more technical explanation as to exactly why it sounds jarring.

The "jarring" sound is caused by phase cancellation. The duty settings are 3 and 0, and since duty 3 in invert from duty 1, duty 0 cancels out parts of it. This is most notable when using duty 1 and 3 together. In addition if you apply tremolo to one of the channels you get very interesting sounds. Try combining two different duties to see what kind of waveform it makes. You can also use a temporary detune to offset the other sound to create even more interesting sounds. I'm not on my pc now so I can't make changes to the ftm now. I can also make a tutorial or example ftm about phase cancellation and what you can do with it.

Baka94

Postby Baka94 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:10 pm

MechaGrapefruit wrote:I've always liked this boss theme. I know it's reviled by many for being too theatrical, but it's pretty melodically interesting, and it has such a "pretender to the throne" vibe.
You've put a lot of work into this. I would suggest working on volume variance - everything is at the default volume, which makes some sections a bit hard to listen to, and overpowers some of the accompaniment, especially from the triangle channel. Additionally, detune one channel when they are playing the same note - some use of the P00 effect (within a P7E-P81 variance) would help make these sections sound a bit better, because as you may hear, weird things happen when Famitracker plays the same note, and it can be hard to hear both channels at the same time. I'm sure somebody else has a more technical explanation as to exactly why it sounds jarring. This said, nice work!

Changes done! Updated ftm in original post!

Return to “Cover Music”