[VRC6] Four Chrono Triggers songs

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Bjoern the Smexy

[VRC6] Four Chrono Triggers songs

Postby Bjoern the Smexy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:48 am

Happy new year, everybody! (tomorrow at least)

This one I made some time back, basically when I started to get the hang of FamiTracker. Back then I thought it would be an awesome idea (and it was) to cover the complete Chrono Trigger soundtrack in VRC6. Obviously that was a tremendous undertaking which is why I abandoned it and these four songs are what made the cut before my abandonment.

Songs covered in this FTM/NSF are:
- Presentiment
- Gato's Song
- Fanfare 1 (Lucca's Theme)
- Kingdom Trial

I hope you like it. My goal was to make it feel like it would have been the perfect fit if Chrono Trigger ever made it on the NES (and used a Konami brand soundchip). Thus I took the SPCs and listened to every instrument channel seperately, slowed down to half speed, several times, because motivation is fun.

There are some unused instruments and DPCM sound effects in there because being lazy is fun too.
You may use those as you like, I don't care.

Enjoy!
Attachments
ChronoTrigger_VRC6.nsf
For your hearing pleasure!
(23.51 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
ChronoTrigger_VRC6.ftm
For your viewing pleasure!
(87.61 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

jaxcheese

Re: [VRC6] Four Chrono Triggers songs

Postby jaxcheese » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:44 pm

That's funny, I did a similar thing. I'd planned to cover the whole soundtrack in 2a03, did several tracks, and then sort of stopped.
These are some pretty good covers, I especially liked what you did with Kingdom Trial. One complaint: the sawtooth bass part starting at frame 0F should probably sustain through the whole frame, it leaves things sounding kind of empty when it dies out.
I'd really like to hear more of these if you ever get around to it - and I'm feeling a little motivated to work on my own project again, as well. I guess you're right about motivation being fun.
Fan of:
Cave Story, Mega Man X, MOTHER 3, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Shining Force.
Classic SEGA, Treasure, Square, Falcom.
Various roguelike RPGs and shmups/bullet hells.
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

Bjoern the Smexy

Re: [VRC6] Four Chrono Triggers songs

Postby Bjoern the Smexy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:02 am

Nice to see someone wahad the same idea as me :D
I actually stopped when I started covering Wind Scene (the 600 A.D. overworld theme) because that's where things started sounding really bad for some reason. I think that song is just not doable with 2A03 and VRC6. I heard some covers on these here forums of that particular song and didn't like them because they sounded...well, wrong. It didn't feel right. That was where I quit.

I should've covered the Sewers theme maybe. But whatever. I'm hard at work figuring out more of VRC7 at the moment, so I don't think I will go back to this project anytime soon, if at all.