Dermot's chiptune covers

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Dermot

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (MD/Gen) - Donatello (VRC6)

Postby Dermot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:06 am

Part of the same flurry of chiptune covers I did starting in December. This was the song where I realized that 1/16 pulse width (VRC6 pulse width 0) makes a perfect simulated jazz clavinet. Overall satisfied with the muzak, if not necessarily with the instrument balance (as with my Sisyphus cover) or the clear audibility of the sawtooth bass. Ultimately, it's just the reality that different NSF players render playback with slight differences that affect instrument balance. And the sawtooth bass needed to remain low-pitched to maintain a "badass bass" sound, which would have been ruined by raising it an octave, just like it ruined the effect in the GBA port of Mega Man & Bass.

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109 ... %20NSF.zip
Last edited by Dermot on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dermot

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (MD/Gen) - Michelangelo (VRC6)

Postby Dermot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:10 am

The original version of this song sounded like it was either in a deep trance or smashed on drugs, and I didn't want to lose that feeling in a chiptune cover.

Do you think I succeeded?

(EDIT: Updated to reduce the echo problem.)
Last edited by Dermot on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sky Yoshi

Re: Dermot's chiptune covers

Postby Sky Yoshi » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:13 pm

That's better!
Keep up the good work!
I'm Sky Yoshi and I'm a Japanese Tracker.
I am back from 5 months of absent!
Check out my Links to see what I do!
Do you wanna be pointless? Click here!

Dr. Merio

Re: Zelda's Lullaby (MMC5)

Postby Dr. Merio » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:13 pm

Dear goodness WHAT WERE YOU THINKING WHEN YOU DID THIS?

Flooding the section with threads is not allowed. You should've read the rules before posting all these songs. Stick to one thread next time or I'll delete everything right away.

A suspension has been issued.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:58 pm

These are some really good covers! It's clear, that you've put a lot of effort into them. Great job! And, yes, the Michelangelo theme does sound like it's on drugs. I don't get why they gave it this trance vibe, it doesn't really fit with Michelangelo's personality (unless he decided to try out some LSD or something), but whatever. Again, great covers!
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.

danooct1

Re: Zelda's Lullaby (MMC5)

Postby danooct1 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:58 pm

Dr. Merio wrote:Dear goodness WHAT WERE YOU THINKING WHEN YOU DID THIS?

Flooding the section with threads is not allowed. You should've read the rules before posting all these songs. Stick to one thread next time or I'll delete everything right away.

A suspension has been issued.

oh god lmao i was thinking it was weird that there were 20 some odd posts in a row, i didn't know they were all separate threads lol
famiTRACKER

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:15 pm

Yeah they were.

Damn I apologize for my abrasiveness but waking up to this kind of stuff really makes me mad.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

Dermot

Postby Dermot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:41 pm

Well that was the little adventure. My apologies, I won't make the same mistake twice. :)

BioMechanicalDude: Thank you, I appreciate it. :) Anyway, I think it may depend on which Mikey we're talking about. Some versions of him are very naturally zen, effortlessly letting go of worries and embracing their inner child. Whereas Leo puts great effort into trying to become more of a buddha, Mikey often doesn't even have to try to succeed at it. There's also the matter that, a lot of versions of Mikey are portrayed as "surfer dude" personalities. And another stereotype associated with surfers? That they're constantly on weed. :)
Last edited by Dermot on Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dermot

Seiken Densetsu 3 - Powell (VRC6)

Postby Dermot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:47 pm

Now, where were we...

This came from more of that productive December flurry that extended into January. This was a straightforward cover. I didn't use the triangle wave or DPCM channels.

Last edited by Dermot on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dermot

Star Fox (SNES) - Space Armada (MMC5 & 2A03)

Postby Dermot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:50 pm

This was the first chiptune I did where I tuned samples to achieve the "Sunsoft bass" effect, in this case for a timpani. However, it's not a complete instrument, as I only provided the samples needed for the notes the song needed, making the instrument not very portable. In later chiptunes where I used this effect, I made tuned DPCM samples more portable.

I made the MMC5 version first, then made the simplified 2A03 version to further challenge myself. The DPCM timpani is the same in both though.

(EDIT: MMC5 version updated to reduce the echo problem.)
Last edited by Dermot on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.