Dermot's chiptune covers

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Dr. Merio

Re: Dermot's chiptune covers

Postby Dr. Merio » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:59 pm

Just try not to flood the thread and/or the boards. I suggest you wait a few hours or a day to post new songs, or you could also post a lot at once and see if anyone has anything to say.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:07 pm

Man, how many covers and songs do you have, that you have to post them within minutes? O.o It's gotta be a huge archive. Although, if this is about new songs, I thing you should just post one, when you're done with it. You don't need to pile them up and wait to release them.
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.

Dermot

Battletoads & Double Dragon (SNES) - Missile Mayhem (General Slaughter & Robo-Manus) (VRC6)

Postby Dermot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:26 pm

Remember that arpeggiated overdriven guitar I initially designed for my Khaos Mountains cover? This cover was the second time I used it, and started to use it a lot more afterward. I had a lot of fun with this one.

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109 ... %20NSF.zip

(EDIT: Updated to reduce the echo problem.)
Last edited by Dermot on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dermot

Postby Dermot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:29 pm

BioMechanicalDude: Two years worth. I only decided to start sharing them with the FamiTracker forums now. Though I admit, I am being rather manic about it. I'm less interested in gaining feedback for any one specific song, and more interested in providing a gallery that people can access all at once. But I still feel it's important to give each song the attention of customized commentary on my experience with it. So, feel free to comment on any of them, or all of them - whatever you feel like doing.

Dermot

Battletoads & Double Dragon (SNES) - Blag Alley (Big Blag) (VRC6)

Postby Dermot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:36 pm

As soon as I finished my Missile Mayhem cover, I knew that I would never be satisfied until I made a cover of this one. I struggled with the jazz guitar chords, because they needed three channels. So I improvised by occasionally culling one of the three chord notes, especially if it was a note of the same pitch concurrently being played by another instrument.

Last edited by Dermot on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dermot

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (SNES) - Cafeteria (Raphael) (VRC6)

Postby Dermot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:41 pm

Remember the orchestra hit I designed for my Corneria and Training Mission covers? This is the first time I used a simplified orchestra hit using only the 2A03 pulse. It proved surprisingly adequate even with only three pulse widths instead of all eight in VRC6.

Last edited by Dermot on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dermot

Battletoads (MD/Gen) - Surf City (Big Blag) (VRC6)

Postby Dermot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:47 pm

This was the first of my experimental FamiTracker covers of MegaDrive/Genesis Battletoads music. Some turned out all right, others I wasn't quite satisfied with. Surf City turned out mostly all right though. I dared not make the DPCM percussion louder, because it had a tendency to drown out everything else if I wasn't careful. Again, I test all my chiptunes in FamiTracker, NotSo Fatso and nsfplay before I decide I'm satisfied, choosing the least-worst balance between the three of them.

Dermot

Battletoads (MD/Gen) - Karnath's Lair (VRC6) (MD/Gen & NES melody versions)

Postby Dermot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:53 pm

I won't mince words - this was a disappointment. But it was a worthy disappointment, because it was still worth the effort. The problem? I could never find a balance between the instruments I felt satisfied with. Maybe there still is one, I don't know. At least I always share the .ftm files.

I made two versions - one using the MegaDrive/Genesis version's notes, and another which made minor alterations to it to match the NES version's melody.

(EDIT: Updated to reduce the echo problem and for hopefully better volume balance.)

Dermot

Battletoads (MD/Gen) - Intruder Excluder (Robo-Manus) & Terra Tubes (VRC6) (MD/Gen & NES melody versions)

Postby Dermot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:57 pm

Note that, in the MegaDrive/Genesis version of Battletoads, Terra Tubes had this music, not Surf City's music as in the NES version.

As with my Karnath's Lair cover, I made two versions, one with the MegaDrive/Genesis version's melody, and another that made alterations to that to match the NES version's melody.

Last edited by Dermot on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:00 pm

Had a listen to a few of these, and I thought they were well made. Keep up the good work!