Dermot's chiptune covers

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Dermot

Re: Dermot's chiptune covers

Postby Dermot » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:20 pm

Thank you, Sky Yoshi. ^_^

Sky Yoshi

Postby Sky Yoshi » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:20 pm

Your Welcome!
I'm Sky Yoshi and I'm a Japanese Tracker.
I am back from 5 months of absent!
Check out my Links to see what I do!
Do you wanna be pointless? Click here!

Dermot

Konami logo (early 1990s) (VRC6)

Postby Dermot » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:31 pm

Another logo jingle cover.

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109 ... %20NSF.zip

Dermot

Donkey Kong Country - Funky's Fugue (VRC6)

Postby Dermot » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:33 pm

Had fun with this one. There are 13 DPCM samples, so all the special vocal effects are intact.

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109 ... %20NSF.zip

Also, I recently made major updates to my Final Fantasy VI "Searching for Friends" and "The Veldt" covers, balancing volumes, streamlining fades, fixing some bugs, etc. And my 7-Zip archive has been updated with these along with my new cover.

Deathro

Postby Deathro » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:51 pm

This DKC cover is surprisingly nice. I'm actually able to listen to it for a good amount of time without killing my ears.

One thing I'd watch for is that any tempo other and 150, causes a set of grooves that make the tempo really weird. Because you set the tempo to 141 in the cover, it sounds offbeat quite often. Other than that, this is pretty cool!

Also, you know you don't have to have Dropbox links to .zip files, right? You can just attach the files individually to the post.

Dermot

Postby Dermot » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:07 pm

It means so much to me that any of my chiptunes are actually pleasantly listenable loop after loop after loop. ^_______^

I'm well aware of the tempo async. I'm okay with it. Also, when I use such elaborate DPCM samples that incorporate themselves into the beat, the tempo has to be as precise as possible, so I try to make it exact or round up. The tempo I needed was closer to 140.4, so I rounded up to 141.

And I maintain dropbox links because I often make little revisions to my chiptunes, and it's easier to maintain them all if I'm not scattering files all over the place creating more files I have to update. This isn't the only site where I share my chiptunes, after all. :)

Deathro

Postby Deathro » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:45 am

Dermot wrote: I'm well aware of the tempo async. I'm okay with it. Also, when I use such elaborate DPCM samples that incorporate themselves into the beat, the tempo has to be as precise as possible, so I try to make it exact or round up. The tempo I needed was closer to 140.4, so I rounded up to 141.

And I maintain dropbox links because I often make little revisions to my chiptunes, and it's easier to maintain them all if I'm not scattering files all over the place creating more files I have to update. This isn't the only site where I share my chiptunes, after all. :)

Ah, I get it. Cool. Either way, you do a crapload of covers, and they're not all that bad. There's always room for improvement, though.

Dermot

Postby Dermot » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:21 am

Certainly like trying to improve!

Oh, I should mention something else - I've encountered NES and GB game music that uses lots of strange tempos. David Wise (Battletoads series, most of Donkey Kong Country but not Funky's Fugue) did this all the time. For evidence, look at my Battletoads GB complete soundtrack cover, and see some of the exotic tempos.

8BitZtunerYT

Postby 8BitZtunerYT » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:55 pm

Dermot wrote:The tempo I needed was closer to 140.4, so I rounded up to 141.

You just don't round up at .4.
From what I learned in school, if the comma number is .5 or higher, you round up to 1 (from 0.5 or 0.7 e. g, it'll be 1), if it's below .5 lets say .3 or .2, you'll stay at 0.
It was tought to me that way.
slowly ceasing to exist.
"8BitZ caresses his keyboard as he orgasms to the sounds of Winamp."
-retrodpc, 2015

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:16 pm

I think his logic is that he'd rather have the tempo be a bit faster instead of a bit slower. I don't know if "round up" and "round down" are distinct from just "round", but I just wanted to point that out.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]