Dermot's chiptune covers

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Dermot

Re: Dermot's chiptune covers

Postby Dermot » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:09 pm

Indeed, it's better to go faster than slower. If I round down, some broken-up DPCM samples (like in my cover of The Veldt) have small choppy gaps between them. So when I say "round up", it's more accurate to say I ceil() it.

Dermot

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - Funky the Main Monkey (VRC6)

Postby Dermot » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:58 am

19 DPCM samples, all percussion. I've never used this many in a chiptune before, and I spent most of my time carefully sampling, refining and mixing them as needed. The triangle wave and noise channels went completely unused, but their usefulness is limited when using DPCM anyway. I winged it on the brassy hits and the rhythm guitars. If there's anything else to note, I can't think of it right now. I just hope it sounds good enough.

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109 ... %20NSF.zip

Dermot

Wild Arms Advanced 3rd - Losing One's Way in Darkness, Losing Something in Darkness (2A03)

Postby Dermot » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:02 am

This is not only my favorite dungeon music in Wild Arms 3, it's possibly my favorite dungeon music of any RPG. And yes, "Losing One's Way in Darkness, Losing Something in Darkness" is actually the song's very long-winded title.

For my cover, I wanted to challenge myself to adapt it as well as I could in plain 2A03 without expansion chips or DPCM. Michiko Naruke really likes to pile detail onto her music, but fundamentally it's her basic melodies, harmonies and rhythms that charm you, and I wanted to believe I could capture the essence of her sound in something as simple as 2A03 if I tried hard enough.

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109 ... %20NSF.zip
Compare the original song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQAjAic5mfI

(EDIT: I lowered some notes an octave to make them less piercing. Compromises of the format, I guess.)

(EDIT: Fixed a small bug. Also, I added some vibrato as an accent. Vibrato can be good sometimes, I don't like to overuse it if I don't have to.)

Dermot

Postby Dermot » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:49 pm

By the way, in the spirit of showing my work, I've not only been including the FTM files in my "Dermot's chiptunes.7z", but I've been including the .wav files for the DPCM samples as well. But is that overkill? They *do* significantly increase the size of the archive, which compresses to over a megabyte now. If I exclude the DPCM samples, the archive could be much smaller.

DMT Produktionen

Postby DMT Produktionen » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:38 am

As long as it doesnt overexceed the file limit, it should be ok.

Dermot

Postby Dermot » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:12 am

Oh, the 7-Zip archive is currently being dropboxed. I added the link to the first post in this thread.