Pokémon Memories - A 20th Anniversary Remix Album (need some feedback!!)

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Bramble

Pokémon Memories - A 20th Anniversary Remix Album (need some feedback!!)

Postby Bramble » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:49 am

Hey everyone! I haven't posted in a month, and you're about to see why! I'll give a longer explanation, but:
TL;DR: For the past month I've been working on this album and need feedback! Skip my writing and get to the remixes!
Oh and sorry that they're separate files, I didn't think about that ahead of time. Next time, I promise!

So basically this album has been a way for me to push how well and quickly I can do remixes. Before this project, typically remixes took me about a week to do if it was a regular length song. After finishing my last cover I was having a low point where I couldn't think of anything to remix at all, and on the morning of January 27th, I thought, hey I have an idea! For those who don't know, Pokemon is having it's 20th anniversary on February 27th, and I thought it would be cool to do something for that. My idea was to do a remix from each generation of the main series games and then throw in some extra from Ranger and Mystery Dungeon. A lot of songs were cut and added along the way, and I ended up doing 10 remixes! Anyways enough rambling, let's get to the tracks!

-Tracks-
LavenderTown.ftm
Beta 0.5.0
(15.12 KiB) Downloaded 105 times

Complete
Representing Generation 1 is Lavender Town! I know it might seem ridiculous to remix songs that were already in chiptune style, I think I was able to do some cool stuff with this one. Probably the remix that took me the least amount of time.

Red'sTheme.ftm
Beta 0.5.0
(23.53 KiB) Downloaded 115 times

Complete
From Gen 2, Red's Theme! One of my favorite tracks from Pokemon as a whole! My idea from the start was to emulate the Gameboy in the beginning, and then pick up with some of the additions HeartGold and SoulSilver made to the track. I think this remix took me the most time, maybe 6 or 7 hours. AND I KNOW, I used waaay too many instruments!! It wasn't until later I figured out how to use the Gxx command so.. sorry for that mess!

CrossingTheSea.ftm
Beta 0.5.0
(11.78 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

Incomplete
Gen 3 represented by Crossing the Sea! I've liked this track since my first game, Pokemon Emerald, and it felt like a good pick for a remix! I added in the cymbals at the beginning from the ORAS rendition since they sounded nice. It's done, for the most part, but I just need to figure out the drum line for the rest of the song.. (it's really quiet but I'll get it before release!!) Oh and a couple of the weird notes I have to fix yet, but I will!

LyraForest.ftm
(17.85 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

Complete
One of the more obscure tracks, this one is from Pokemon Ranger. I initially didn't plan to remix this song, but I happened across it and it brought some really good memories back. I actually completed this one in one day, for the most part. Not a whole lot to say here, other than that the DPCM might be unnecessary? You guys be the judges, I'm not sure anymore lol

Route205.ftm
Beta 0.5.0
(13.61 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

Incomplete
Representing Gen 4 is one of favorite route themes in the games! This one is one I'm currently finishing up, so it's kinda rough as it stands now, sorry! I'm going for a sort of gameboy-ish feel (that's a thing I guess) on this one, which is why everything is pitched down. I have a good handle on this one, I just didn't finish in time before posting this!

FartherAway.ftm
Beta 0.5.0
(10.71 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

Complete
This one is from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky! I won't spoil anything, but it plays at the most emotional moment of the game, and is close to Primal Dialga's theme as my favorite song in the game. I hope I was able to capture that emotional feeling!

TeamDimSunAdmin.ftm
Beta 0.5.0
(10.51 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

Complete
Another obscure one, this one is from Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia. As the name implies, it plays when fighting one of the Admins of the evil team Dim Sun! I've always liked this song because it felt like a more intense version of the grunt theme, and just feels awesome overall.

ThePokemonLeague.ftm
Beta 0.5.0
(10.96 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

Complete
For Gen 6 I did the Pokemon League theme. I think this was the first song I did for the album. This song is just so, so epic, and is leagues (haha see what I did there I'm funny) better than any of the other Pokemon league themes. I really wanted to do this one because I tried to when I first got Famitracker and failed hardcore. I hope I was able to do a good job!
Last edited by Bramble on Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
The name's Bramble, nice to meet you!
YouTube and SoundCloud!

Bramble

Re: Pokémon Memories - A 20th Anniversary Remix Album (need some feedback!!)

Postby Bramble » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:51 am

Apparently 8 files is the max per post, so sorry for this double post!!

LushForest.ftm
Beta 0.5.0
(30.83 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

Complete
Lastly, I remixed Lush Forest from Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play it myself, but when I heard this song, I was amazed at how awesome it was. I actually started this remix last December and abandoned it, but figured now was a good a time as any to dig it back up!

Sorry if you actually read all of that, I know it was a lot! Anyways, the album is coming out on Saturday, February 27th, for free obviously, on every platform I can think of. I want to make the release as good as possible, so please, fire away with your suggestions! Thanks everyone for reading and listening. Without all of your help in the past on these forums, this album would sound a whole lot worse, so again, thank you all so much!

Whenever I finish Onward to Our Own Futures, I will post it, as well as when I complete the other two. I work tomorrow night, so it honestly could be a last minute Friday night thing, but they will get done!!
YouTube and SoundCloud!

Potentialing

Postby Potentialing » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:16 pm

Lush Forest: Great job with the melody! I love all the little details you got from the original song, and I love the vibrato you added on the strings later in the song! I think there are a couple of things I should mention though:

- The song is a tad slower than the original, maybe try alternating between F04 and F05 every other row? EDIT: Try F04 3 rows, F05 for the 4th row and keep alternating between them, and remove the FA2.
- Double-check the bass (base) notes of each chord you're playing, because I think it sounds a bit emptier than the original somehow because of this.
- Consider exaggerating your note articulations! By which I mean, check the length of your notes! The original played those string chords super short (staccato) and it's a bit more legato in your version.
- Before cutting off your notes, try using a lower volume level to give your notes a pseudo echo before they stop playing completely. You can also automate this in the instrument and trigger it with the Release note (=).

I've included a modified version explaining what I mean. I hope this helps!
Attachments
LushForest_edit.ftm
(39.81 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

Bramble

Postby Bramble » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:19 pm

Potentialing wrote:I've included a modified version explaining what I mean. I hope this helps!

Thanks! Those are some really good suggestions and thank you for that edit to give me some direction! Once I get the song updated I'll edit this post with it. Thanks again!
YouTube and SoundCloud!

Potentialing

Postby Potentialing » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:33 am

Bramble wrote:
Potentialing wrote:I've included a modified version explaining what I mean. I hope this helps!

Thanks! Those are some really good suggestions and thank you for that edit to give me some direction! Once I get the song updated I'll edit this post with it. Thanks again!

Sure thing! Actually, I forgot to add one more thing to that edit: The 2A03 Pulse 2 channel should probably have a P81 detune whenever it plays the string backing: I think my edit actually has a bad phasing effect because the channel is playing a note which is too close/overlapping with another channel playing the same note. By detuning a very tiny bit (P80 is the default value), you can make the overlapping sound more tolerable. I recommend doing this for any channels playing the same note or echoing another channel.

Overall, as far as covers go: Watch your bass notes and articulation (how long you're holding your notes).

And personal preference from me, which might not be the case for everyone:
- Keep your instruments simple and representative of actual instruments (e.g. I'm using 50% pulse with an attack to simulate a flute, attack+decay envelope on the noise shaker instrument, etc) and try to be as detailed with the polish as possible (articulation, vibrato or fadeout for your longer notes, layering and echo whenever you have a free channel)
- Use arpeggios whenever you don't have enough channels (I'm not really a fan of fast arps, but prefer ones that play in 8th/16th notes, like Capcom or Konami NES music. Usually I do this if I'm not using VRC6, but I think VRC6 is typically enough for most cases.)
- Try to make your lower notes a louder volume and vice versa, like a pyramid of volume. An exception, make your melody and drums stick out as much as the bass is.

Bramble

Postby Bramble » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:55 am

Alright, finally got some stuff done!
LushForest.ftm
Beta 0.5.0
(43.5 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

I hope this is better than it was before!

I also finished this:
Route205.ftm
Beta 0.5.0
(13.51 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

Still working on Crossing the Sea, but it's almost done!
YouTube and SoundCloud!