[VRC7] Undertale - Heartache

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Lum

[VRC7] Undertale - Heartache

Postby Lum » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:59 am

So I enjoyed this song a lot, and decided "Hey, not many people have covered this! I should give it a try!"

Hoo boy. That was in December.

Most of the work was listening to the original song slowed down and transcribing the notes by ear, particularly for the triangle wave section. I'm proud of how accurate that part turned out, actually.

Let me know what you think! I know, I'm not exactly a pro at VRC7, but I tried hard.

Original: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypvg1WC-m-Y
Attachments
Heartache.ftm
(29.06 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
Heartache.nsf
(14.97 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

craftrod

Re: [VRC7] Undertale - Heartache

Postby craftrod » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:26 pm

Really amazing. Very well done.
My nickname is "Roddy" now, my Minecraft days are over. I just can't change my nickname here. Oh well...

Chieftanaxe

Postby Chieftanaxe » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:39 am

The notes are really accurate, and you use the effects column really well. My only two criticisms is that in the intro section and in any refrains of that part have a slight swing feel to them, which sounds a little weird since the original tune is decidedly not swung. I also would've liked to hear a tambourine sample during the chorus sections. I know that's a bit nitpicky but I feel the tambourine really completes that section and would have sounded cool here.

Lum

Postby Lum » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:39 pm

Chieftanaxe wrote:The notes are really accurate, and you use the effects column really well. My only two criticisms is that in the intro section and in any refrains of that part have a slight swing feel to them, which sounds a little weird since the original tune is decidedly not swung. I also would've liked to hear a tambourine sample during the chorus sections. I know that's a bit nitpicky but I feel the tambourine really completes that section and would have sounded cool here.

Thanks for the criticism! Sadly my laptop is in for repairs so I can't do any work to it at the moment.

I'm a little confused when you say it has a "swing feel", because I definitely didn't intend to make a swing beat. Are you talking about the use of Fxx commands to control the speed? That's to keep the tempo as accurate and stable as possible and is unavoidable at 60 Hz, unfortunately.

As for the tambourine, when I get my laptop back I'll do some experimenting. I don't know if the DPCM can pull off a convincing tambourine, but I'll try.

OzzyKingofKings

Postby OzzyKingofKings » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:55 pm

Lum wrote:Thanks for the criticism! Sadly my laptop is in for repairs so I can't do any work to it at the moment.

I'm a little confused when you say it has a "swing feel", because I definitely didn't intend to make a swing beat. Are you talking about the use of Fxx commands to control the speed? That's to keep the tempo as accurate and stable as possible and is unavoidable at 60 Hz, unfortunately.

As for the tambourine, when I get my laptop back I'll do some experimenting. I don't know if the DPCM can pull off a convincing tambourine, but I'll try.

Yeah, the speed control is why that's happening. Eighth notes are getting "swung" because your F03 is making every other note slightly shorter. I find that tracking at higher speeds can help give you more space to fiddle and better control of the "arrythmia."

Fyuchanick

Postby Fyuchanick » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Sounds just like the original to me!