Mega Man II (Gameboy) Soundtrack Remake

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Tpcool

Mega Man II (Gameboy) Soundtrack Remake

Postby Tpcool » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:53 am

I started this project over a month ago and was only planning on uploading it to YouTube-- but then I realized it would be great if I got real critique from some of the best Famitracker users out there. So please, gimme all you got!

To give some context, the intent of this project is to remake every Mega Man II song so that they're done more in the style of the other Mega Man Gameboy games. This means that I lowered the octaves of the songs so they don't sound so high pitched anymore, modified the instruments to make them more Mega Man Gameboy styled (like the "pluck" effect with the duty cycles, and more importantly the bass which I read directly from the other Mega Man Gameboy games), and made some minor modifications like remove some of the more jarring dissonance, add echo, and add pitch slides.

So, like I said above, I'd really like a critique on this so I can make this as good as it can be. I'm focusing more specifically on how good I got the Mega Man Gameboy style down, as well as song accuracy, and general pleasantness.

(As a side note, I have included an alternate version of Metal Man's song below. This is because I'm not sure which version of the second half I like better: the one in the FTM which is less cluttered, or the one in the MP3 which sounds like it clashes more but is more accurate and i kinda have a soft spot for it lol)
Attachments
Metal Man (Alternate).mp3
Listen to this once you've listened to the one in the FTM and tell me which is better
(986.94 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
MMII Gameboy.ftm
(143.79 KiB) Downloaded 236 times

Teuthida

Re: Mega Man II (Gameboy) Soundtrack Remake

Postby Teuthida » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:32 am

I love it! I've seen many people do stuff like this before, but yours is my favorite. My only real issue is with the Wily Castle covers. I feel like the high pitched notes on channel 2 fit better, but that's just my opinion.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

Return to “Cover Music”