[VRC6] UNDERTALE - Battle Against a True Hero

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
nbaptistes71

[VRC6] UNDERTALE - Battle Against a True Hero

Postby nbaptistes71 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:01 pm

This is the first cover i made in FamiTracker, i don't think it's perfect, but it was my first try, tell me if there if i made a mistake somewhere
Attachments
Battle against a true hero.ftm
(25.33 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

PaulMannIV

Re: [VRC6] UNDERTALE - Battle Against a True Hero

Postby PaulMannIV » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:08 pm

I'll try to explain a few things to the best of my abilities and if it sounds like I'm being harsh, I'm honestly not. I get taken like that from time to time, but I want to drive a few points for future covers.

The Triangle Channel will be the first thing I'll cover. In that channel, it's F or 0. Basically, it's playing at either full volume or silent. You can simply press the "/" key as you've done with other channels to act as the note stop so that you don't have to worry about altering the volume constantly.

Secondly, note variation. Not sure if you knew this or not, but the 2A03 and VRC6 Pulses are somewhat different as far as the Pulse Width options. The easiest way to explain this is the "Vxx" command, which you seem to know the basics of already. VRC6 Pulses have twice as many Pulse Width options, therefore twice as many "instruments", though three of them, V01, V03, and V07 I believe, are the three stable 2A03 Pulse instruments V00, V01, and V02. The best pulses normally depend on the role of the instrument, so choosing the one that sounds best fits is what you'd want to aim for. Problem can be that this is a matter of personal perspective, so the choice of it would differ from one person to another, so all you'd really have to do is choose which one YOU would believe works best.

Third, I'm going to combine two points; High Pitched notes and Echoes. High Pitched notes are notes you normally want to keep somewhat low on the volume, as proven well with Castlevania 3's "Pressure" where the high pitched notes can be very obnoxious and irritating. Echoes are also meant to be much quieter, but still a bit noticeable, than the main notes. You use F as the main note and A as the echo, when, me personally, would've used 9 as the main note and 3/4 as the echo. A final tip with this subject: Get used to using the "Pxx" effect. This is the effect that changes the pitch; the higher the pitch of the natural note, the greater the change, meaning that higher pitched notes will sound more off even if you only add the smallest changes. You'll want to use that effect, basically, for every channel at the beginning. For almost all cases, bar the lowest of notes (like Octave 1 or something), stick with P7F, P80, and P81. Though the change may seem small, it will almost always prevent muddling and clashing with other notes.

On a small side note with the Pxx effect, using the 4xy effect creates a vibrato, with 400 being none. Play around with it to get some soft vibrato for longer lasting notes.

Fourth, the percussion. There are build-ups in Battle Against a True Hero if I remember correctly. The percussion can be used to aid in said build-ups if done carefully, but is easily done two ways. The first way, and I recommend this to you, is making separate instruments for each kind of percussion sound you want to use. This means plenty of "note" and "pitch" changes to get the best sounds, otherwise you get a single, boring sound. The second way, and I DO NOT recommend doing this, is using Famitracker at Speed 1, or 900 BPM, whichever one makes sense to you. This is how I use it and I do not wish it on my worst enemy, for it is, perhaps, the hardest way to use Famitracker and get a full, satisfying result. Of course, this is only talking about the Noise Channel. DPCM you seem to have a concept of, as well as knowing somewhat what to do with it, so I won't go into that.

Time for some good news, though. You did quite a few things correctly that I want to point out. The Sawtooth channel, for one. You kept it as what it's best used for as a bass: low octaves. Unless one is working on an Akumajou Densetsu (Japanese Castlevania 3) style, low octaves are the safest and best ways to get a bass out of it. You seemed to mostly have a grasp on the correct notes, pretty sure it was by ear (hoping it was, too), so there's potential there. I really do want to see bigger and better things in the future, and seeing that THIS was your first cover, I see some serious potential. Track on. I have Monster Hunter to play.
Should I know what this "VRC7" is and why my friends want me to learn it?