Metal Crusher [2A03]

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Monochromatism

Metal Crusher [2A03]

Postby Monochromatism » Wed May 04, 2016 8:46 pm

Metal Crusher from Undertale. This song could theoretically be recreated perfectly via 2A03. I don't think I'm good enough to do it, but I came close. Kind of.

I went on a pilgrimage and returned with even further mastery of the noise channel, and drums in general. I'm no genius but I'm really kind of proud of the last three channels here. Triangles are pulling double duty, backing up the DPCM, and the noise channel...

Well, that's the fun part. I put some serious work into making it sound good, if not completely accurate. You want to know how I broke it down and made it conform to my whims like this?
I took the inspiration from this from something I found in my folders. noisenotes2.ftm, by I don't even remember who on the old forums (shoutout to you)- but I still had it, and I figured out the technique could be adapted. If you'll look under tracker > playback rate, you'll notice this thing is running at 625 Hz, or a rate of 1600.

Noise notes were originally proof-of-concepted at 2500 by whoever it was (seriously, thanks if it was you, I'd never have found this out myself), but that didn't sound good enough to me, so I went further. Believe me, relearning how to work with sxx commands and instruments (and attempting to work with automatic pitch bends) at 625 Hz was not my definition of enjoyable or easy, but it was definitely rewarding.

Now, moving on from how I did it, I think I replicated the original song well. Maybe I might have a few backing instruments too loud, and it feels like I might have been a little off pitch with the noise channel at times. But overall the sound balance sounds decent and the notes I couldn't figure out and just winged it with turned out well. Critique me, please.
Attachments
Metal Crusher.ftm
Requires the beta. Sorry.
(24.11 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

ZeroJanitor

Re: Metal Crusher [2A03]

Postby ZeroJanitor » Thu May 05, 2016 9:57 am

Is it supposed to be playing at 1104 BPM?

Monochromatism

Postby Monochromatism » Thu May 05, 2016 1:54 pm

Does it seem broken?

While it does display 1104 BPM for me too, it matches the existing song's tempo too. It's something to do with the rate.

Nintony

Postby Nintony » Thu May 05, 2016 4:37 pm

All there had to be done was remove the speed commands in the 2nd pulse channel, and change the f01 to f02 in the dpcm. Tempo seems fine to me here, and i'm using the 0.5 beta.
Attachments
Metal Crusher fix.ftm
[0.5 beta]
(24.04 KiB) Downloaded 123 times

Monochromatism

Postby Monochromatism » Thu May 05, 2016 5:57 pm

And that one's the one running slow for me.

Could you check the playback rate settings on your copy of the file? They should look like the attachment.

I'm really interested in what's gone wrong here. We seem to be having it both run differently.

EDIT: Oh crap, I'm using beta 3. That's the issue. As an aside, this sounds COMPLETELY different in beta 5.
Attachments
playback rate.PNG
playback rate.PNG (9.13 KiB) Viewed 1662 times

Monochromatism

Postby Monochromatism » Thu May 05, 2016 6:40 pm

This version should sound much better for everyone using beta 5.

Nintony, your fix worked for the tempo but all the instruments and delayed cutoff effects were severely screwed up. I adjusted them to work at an NSF rate of 1600 on Beta 5.

Sorry for all the confusion, everyone.
Attachments
Metal Crusher_Beta5 Fix.ftm
(24.16 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

Ares64

Postby Ares64 » Sat May 07, 2016 11:05 pm

it sounds kinda strange imo, but either way great job :) covered this song myself a while back

Bjoern the Smexy

Postby Bjoern the Smexy » Sun May 08, 2016 7:13 am

Monochromatism wrote:This version should sound much better for everyone using beta 5.

Nintony, your fix worked for the tempo but all the instruments and delayed cutoff effects were severely screwed up. I adjusted them to work at an NSF rate of 1600 on Beta 5.

Sorry for all the confusion, everyone.

That one sounds actually really good.
The one in the OP was too fast for me too.

Nice work there :D

Return to “Cover Music”