[2A03] Rokko Chan - Jet Man

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
iYamWhatIYam

[2A03] Rokko Chan - Jet Man

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Fri May 20, 2016 11:22 pm

A cover of R-Mega's Jet Man theme from the Mega Man fangame, Rokko Chan. Done in official FamiTracker, 2A03 channels.
Attachments
rokkochan.ftm
Jet Man theme.
(7.28 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
born to fuck life is a die

she/her

iYamWhatIYam

Re: [2A03] Rokko Chan - Jet Man

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Sun May 22, 2016 12:48 pm

Bump. This thread can receive at least one reply; constructive criticism is wanted and appreciated.

she/her

epic1sound

Postby epic1sound » Mon May 23, 2016 6:14 am

Sounds good. The bass usually sounds better IMO the way Threxx and Deathro (and I'm sure many others) do. You just put a Sxx command the step after you want it to end. Makes it sound more realistic and punchy.

I changed a lot of stuff; I just got going and kept adding little things. Take it or leave it but here's my edits.

Mainly, changed the bass to the aforementioned way, added bends and vibrato throughout and updated the bass line ins some places (added toms too). I also changed the percussion. I think it sounds better with a hi-hat going throughout and with a delay.

You can probably figure out the other stuff I did. Let me know what you think.
Attachments
rokkochan_epic1_edits.ftm
(15.34 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Last edited by epic1sound on Mon May 23, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Famitracker on a Mac... It's possible because I do it.

Andy P. Scott
epic1
SoundCloud
YouTube

iYamWhatIYam

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Mon May 23, 2016 12:09 pm

This is not too bad of an edit - if you are not familiar with the song. The original song used little vibrato (except in the whistle), did not use toms, and did not switch duty cycles in the second pulse channel. (The originals were made in PxTone; I had to manually listen to each separate channel to understand what went where.)

I have done, and will continue to, make Mega Man-style originals, and I am well aware of what methods Threxx and Deathro use (although, as of recent, the former has left Mega Man composing), since I have direct contact with both (and many others as well). Nonetheless, I thank you for your criticisms.

she/her

epic1sound

Postby epic1sound » Mon May 23, 2016 12:50 pm

To be honest I didn't realize this was a cover until after I finished it. Nonetheless this was good practice since I'm newer to FT than most.

But I wasn't trying to imply you didn't know the bass technique; there's lots of ways to do stuff in FT. I certainly am not in the place to be giving advice yet... hence the "take it or leave it". And I'm positive you know all this guys better than I do lol. You've obviously been doing this a while. I follow you on YouTube and love your stuff.

Thanks anyway though and it was fun seeing how you composed it. Keep 'em coming.

Andy P. Scott
epic1
SoundCloud
YouTube

epic1sound

Postby epic1sound » Mon May 23, 2016 1:00 pm

iYamWhatIYam wrote:This is not too bad of an edit - if you are not familiar with the song. The original song used little vibrato (except in the whistle), did not use toms, and did not switch duty cycles in the second pulse channel. (The originals were made in PxTone; I had to manually listen to each separate channel to understand what went where.)

Yeah, so I just listened to the original. You nailed it, I think the cover was pretty dead on now that I am familiar with the song in the context of the game.
Last edited by epic1sound on Mon May 23, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy P. Scott
epic1
SoundCloud
YouTube

epic1sound

Postby epic1sound » Mon May 23, 2016 4:48 pm

epic1sound wrote:Sounds good. The bass usually sounds better IMO the way Threxx and Deathro (and I'm sure many others) do. You just put a Sxx command the step after you want it to end. Makes it sound more realistic and punchy.

Well, it turns out I did the bass wrong anyways so sorry I even mentioned it lol. I used S05 during a F3>F2 speed song and put it in the wrong place too. I updated the FTM with the proper Sxx command.

Out of curiosity, does that method usually not use the Sxx trick on Toms? I find they need to ring more so I left it off.
Attachments
rokkochan_epic1_edits.ftm
(15.53 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

Andy P. Scott
epic1
SoundCloud
YouTube

iYamWhatIYam

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Mon May 23, 2016 9:03 pm

The Sxx command is not used on toms, I believe. With those, I set a dedicated volume string or use a note cut.

she/her