Doom Troopers Pluto Theme Revisited

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
turbochop

Doom Troopers Pluto Theme Revisited

Postby turbochop » Tue May 24, 2016 4:31 am

Hey all!

You probably don't remember me; I posted a cover of the Pluto theme from Mutant Chronicles: Doom Troopers a year or 2 back, and I explained that I had ZERO experience making music and I was just winging it. It sounded awful, with sour notes and absolutely NO redeeming qualities. However everyone on the forum was VERY supportive and gave me lots of helpful tips when they could have told me to back under the rock I crawled from. :lol: I've gained more of an appreciation for what makes music, well MUSIC, and I think I've gotten better.

So anyway, here is my new cover: The Pluto theme from Mutant Chronicles: Doom Troopers on SNES. I focused this time on just using the 2A03 to get the general feel of the song right, instead of trying (and failing) to duplicate it note for note using the vrc6. Let me know what you think, and be brutally honest. I mean that!

This cover was created in BETA 5
Attachments
Pluto.ftm
(8.35 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

wispybowl

Re: Doom Troopers Pluto Theme Revisited

Postby wispybowl » Wed May 25, 2016 7:09 am

Hey, this is pretty nice! What I always try to do (with the exception of a few covers) is use every channel to the best of my ability. You should use the noise channel, even if its just accompaniment for the dpcm channel. It really makes things pop. Plus it fills out the high end and gives the feeling of more treble, something this could use. But other than that, it's pretty darn good! Volume balancing seems fine. Notes sound accurate. Not really any clashing that I can pick out. So yeah. Good job!

Here's an example of noise and dpcm working well together.
MMBN Win.ftm
(61.94 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
I have no signature.

turbochop

Re: Doom Troopers Pluto Theme Revisited

Postby turbochop » Wed May 25, 2016 7:02 pm

Oh man, you have no idea how happy I am to hear that! Thank you so much for the kind words.

The only other cover I have done is of this song using the vrc6, and it sounded horrible! I tried to fit every instrument into the song, and it ended up being a mess. This time I wanted to keep it simple. To be honest, I left out the noise channel to theoretically allow for sound effects without cut off during "game play", but I guess I'm not really making a game, so I'll utilize the 2A03 more fully next time.

*Edit*

Alright guys, I managed to find my last and only other post. I feel it's important to show off how much I've improved.

Be warned, the FTM in that forum post might make your ears bleed: http://famitracker.com/forum/posts.php?id=4053

Return to “Cover Music”