[2A03]Kevvviiinnn-Stage 48

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Kaizo_Zhang_15

[2A03]Kevvviiinnn-Stage 48

Postby Kaizo_Zhang_15 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:36 pm

Once used in Plague Man's theme in Mega Man Rock Force.It's a sad but beautiful theme.
To my surprise this song is easier to cover than stage 41...
2016/7/4:Silly me. I typed all the vibrato virbrato.
21017/3/30: 1.4 ver added. Some notes and echo fixed.
Attachments
Kevvviiinnn_Stage_48_v1.4.ftm
(16.54 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Kevvviiinnn_Stage_48_v1.3.ftm
(16.41 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Kevvviiinnn_Stage_48.ftm
(14.43 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Last edited by Kaizo_Zhang_15 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I did nothing right.

iYamWhatIYam

Re: [2A03]Kevvviiinnn-Stage 48

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Fri May 27, 2016 9:12 pm

Hey, this is pretty damn accurate! I don't hear any wrong notes (but I don't have absolute pitch abilities so I'm not exactly the best judge). The only issue is that the lead is too loud. Try using normalized volumes ranging from 9 to C.
I have permanently switched to 0CC-FamiTracker. If and when JSR decides to update vanilla FamiTracker at this point is entirely out of the question for me.
YouTube
Twitter

epic1sound

Postby epic1sound » Sat May 28, 2016 4:12 am

iYamWhatIYam wrote:Hey, this is pretty damn accurate! I don't hear any wrong notes (but I don't have absolute pitch abilities so I'm not exactly the best judge). The only issue is that the lead is too loud. Try using normalized volumes ranging from 9 to C.

I think it's great! I listened to the original and I think Kev used a louder instrument for the lead but I agree with iYam and think that it should be closer to the C, D, E range. I would go with E personally.

The only things I noticed were a few places that could use a note stop (Sxx + Gxx) where notes bleed together. Also noticed that the volume drastically changed during the 8th-note arpeggio runon Pulse 2 in Frame 8. It went B to 8 and the original it stays consistent. Lastly, I think the lead fades in a bit more on the original than your {15,12} instrument. I tried it with a fade in and drop {9,12,14,15,13} and it seems to work well. I tried some other stuff like bumping up the tempo to 150 and trying a pulsate instrument during the 8th-note run vs. the one you used. I kept that one for the 16th-notes though.

I was going to say, I listened to your version of Stage 41 and I thought it turned out great! I tried to cover it a few months ago but couldn't figure it out. Your version helped me understand FT better and I even saved the instrument set for future compositions.

I've actually just posted a new playlist to YouTube with all of the FT community's Kevviiinnn covers. I'm not sure if you're on there or have posted this, but you should if you haven't! Here's the link to contribute: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQOzpOAEOAiXwo-XeLjrCtm0YDJ2ZSaXu&jct=WDBF8sCzWumg9byPRGsr1xOpTjNlSQ
Attachments
Kevvviiinnn_Stage_48_epic1_edits.ftm
(15.58 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Famitracker on a Mac... It's possible because I do it.

Andy P. Scott
epic1
SoundCloud
YouTube

Kaizo_Zhang_15

Postby Kaizo_Zhang_15 » Sat May 28, 2016 5:42 am

The only things I noticed were a few places that could use a note stop (Sxx + Gxx) where notes bleed together. Also noticed that the volume drastically changed during the 8th-note arpeggio runon Pulse 2 in Frame 8. It went B to 8 and the original it stays consistent. Lastly, I think the lead fades in a bit more on the original than your {15,12} instrument. I tried it with a fade in and drop {9,12,14,15,13} and it seems to work well. I tried some other stuff like bumping up the tempo to 150 and trying a pulsate instrument during the 8th-note run vs. the one you used. I kept that one for the 16th-notes though.

I was going to say, I listened to your version of Stage 41 and I thought it turned out great! I tried to cover it a few months ago but couldn't figure it out. Your version helped me understand FT better and I even saved the instrument set for future compositions.

I've actually just posted a new playlist to YouTube with all of the FT community's Kevviiinnn covers. I'm not sure if you're on there or have posted this, but you should if you haven't! Here's the link to contribute: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQOzpOAEOAiXwo-XeLjrCtm0YDJ2ZSaXu&jct=WDBF8sCzWumg9byPRGsr1xOpTjNlSQ[/quote]

Thanks a lot for commenting with so many ideas!
I agree with you on the retrigger instrument and the volume reduction in some instruments.I also make tempo 150 and make the speed feel like original.
But I think the lead in the original song should be a little sharper than your version...
I know Sxx and Gxx are important but I always fail to know when to use them so I can't deal with it...
As for playlist,not posted yet.Because I think my covers are way too bad compared with others...

And here's the improved version.
Attachments
Kevvviiinnn_Stage_48_v1.1.ftm
(16.01 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
I did nothing right.

epic1sound

Postby epic1sound » Sat May 28, 2016 5:37 pm

Kaizo_Zhang_15 wrote:I also make tempo 150 and make the speed feel like original.

Yeah, the speed being 150 just means you should have a smoother run. It's such a small difference that it's better to keep it at 150 than drop to 147. I like your choice of using the Fxx command here to slow it down a bit... though I feel like it jumps a bit when switching frames and isn't as smooth. Maybe someone else who's better with Fxx can comment?

I agree with you on the retrigger instrument and the volume reduction in some instruments.

I think you did a good job with it but I wouldn't throw out your original. I think the retrigger sounds good in the 8th-note run and then when you get to the 16th's you should use the original instrument you had (the previous one linked to 0A). And I think the volume should be 8 or 9 not 7. 7 Is too quiet if you listen to the original: Kevvviiinnn Stage 48 (16th run)

But I think the lead in the original song should be a little sharper than your version...

That's fine. I'm not the best with leads. You may still want to try a fade in either with volume differences or in the actual instrument. I'm not saying the instrument I did was exactly right. I'm sure there's more seasoned FT vets that could help you with that.

I know Sxx and Gxx are important but I always fail to know when to use them so I can't deal with it...

Yes, I think you just have to play around. When a Sxx or Note Cut is too abrupt you can use the Gxx command to offset it. It's really an ear thing for me... I'm sure there's math that HertzDevil can go into but I don't think it's too important at this point.

BTW, I learned from listening to this how to simplify the cuts with just volume changes i.e. your F to 6. Really sounds nice :D

As for playlist,not posted yet.Because I think my covers are way too bad compared with others...

NONSENSE! Your covers so far have been great and pretty accurate. The problem we all run into is the fact that Kevvviiinnn used VSTs and not Famitracker (Except for Boss #3) so it's going to be off a bit. The key is to get it as accurate as you can and maybe even improve on what's lacking in the original tracks. I've only been really going hard at FT for the last month or so and I'm posting my stuff. It's better to get it out there so the world can hear/learn; thus growing our community.

Really, in all honesty your covers sound more accurate than some FT covers out there who are actually scoring these fan games so I don't think you should be so hard on yourself.

And here's the improved version.

This sounds really good. I like the {13,11} lead. Sharper but isn't too heavy on the attack and offsets the "F" volume nicely. I think you got it with this one.

Sorry so long but thank for being receptive to the criticism. As always keep going at it. You'll only get better by practicing and learning from others. ;)

Andy P. Scott
epic1
SoundCloud
YouTube

Kaizo_Zhang_15

Postby Kaizo_Zhang_15 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:37 am

OK...I hope this should be the final version...
Attachments
Kevvviiinnn_Stage_48_v1.2.ftm
(16.41 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Last edited by Kaizo_Zhang_15 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I did nothing right.

epic1sound

Postby epic1sound » Sun May 29, 2016 4:48 pm

Kaizo_Zhang_15 wrote:OK...I hope this should be the final version...

Nothing to say but... great job! This is perfect.

Also, post it to YouTube :mrgreen:

Andy P. Scott
epic1
SoundCloud
YouTube

PaulMannIV

Postby PaulMannIV » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:09 am

Here I was about to attempt a VRC6 cover of this song and you done beat me to the direct cover. You're a monster. How could you do this to me?
Should I know what this "VRC7" is and why my friends want me to learn it?

Kaizo_Zhang_15

Postby Kaizo_Zhang_15 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:48 am

PaulMannIV wrote:Here I was about to attempt a VRC6 cover of this song and you done beat me to the direct cover. You're a monster. How could you do this to me?

This song is quite simple actually.Directly covering is good enough...
Remixing it on VRC6 is much more complicated work.So doing this may break the original structure(I have to say I'm a really BAD remixer,so I don't think I can do better than you on VRC6.)...
But it doesn't matter.I'm also looking foward to a VRC6 remix! :mrgreen:
I did nothing right.

Return to “Cover Music”