What covers am I working on? #timetrax

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
ollaxe

What covers am I working on? #timetrax

Postby ollaxe » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:00 pm

This will be my work-in-progress-thread for covers. :)
Here I'll be posting covers that I'm currently working on and possibly some covers that I've given up on.

Don't expect any work-in-progress songs here to actually get done. That's why I have this thread!

The first song I'll be posting here is a 2A03 cover of the title theme for Time Trax, originally composed by the mighty god of dem sub-16-bit soundchips, Timothy Follin. Volume might be a bit off, but I'll rebalance that in the future. And this, unlike most of my tracks, also uses the DPCM-channel pretty heavily.

Enjoy! :D

(Also, if I'm not allowed to actually make WIP-threads anymore, please tell me and I'll change this thread accordingly. :) )
Attachments
Time trax title.ftm
(63.35 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Re: What covers am I working on? #timetrax

Postby jrlepage » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:26 pm

I'm really not a fan of the way you used DPCM as an alternative to being creative. I think with some effort you could come up with a way to squeeze everything in the 2A03 (or carefully selecting what must be included and what can be dropped without losing too much) without resorting to DPCM abuse.

At this point, it seems to me like there isn't much of a point to be making a cover at all, if all you're doing is sampling the melody directly from the original.
Follow me on Twitter.

retrodpc

Postby retrodpc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:42 pm

^
This pretty much seems like DPCM abuse at this point...
If I want to abuse the NES then I use SuperNSF, hee~
Don't copypasta Quotes

my sondclop

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:01 am

jrlepage wrote:I'm really not a fan of the way you used DPCM as an alternative to being creative. I think with some effort you could come up with a way to squeeze everything in the 2A03 (or carefully selecting what must be included and what can be dropped without losing too much) without resorting to DPCM abuse.

At this point, it seems to me like there isn't much of a point to be making a cover at all, if all you're doing is sampling the melody directly from the original.

retrodpc wrote:^
This pretty much seems like DPCM abuse at this point...
If I want to abuse the NES then I use SuperNSF, hee~

Thanks for the response! I'll see if I can make my own lead guitar in some more advanced channel and then sample that instead. The reason that I decided to put the lead guitar on the sample channel to begin with was because rearranging the whole thing to fit a lead guitar in pulse 1 or 2 would be way to difficult, and it wouldn't sound good when jumping in between. :)

Or maybe I will rearrange everything... Who knows? I'll start working on it as quickly as I can! :D

Edit: I came up with a great idea when going to school on how I should go about rearranging the channels! Pulse 2 and the DPCM will just switch roles! This will make for a more lossless sound, and it will give more focus on the square channels! This will also not be that hard to do. And yes, the new DPCM-stuff will be my own this time! :lol:
Last edited by ollaxe on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:23 pm

Donzoed with the fix!
Time trax title new.ftm
(48.06 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

As a proof that everything is completely mine, (except for the noise drums, which is a combination of the ones that Tim used for the intro to Pictionary, and the ones Radnyx gave me when making this song)
I'll include the base FTM for all the samples so far:
extra.ftm
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

What do you think? Anything I should add, remove, change or tweak?

Thank you! :D

wispybowl

Postby wispybowl » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:19 am

Well if you're just using an expansion chip to create your own samples, why not just use the expansion chip? Seems to defeat the purpose of 2a03.
I have no signature.

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:03 pm

wispybowl wrote:Well if you're just using an expansion chip to create your own samples, why not just use the expansion chip? Seems to defeat the purpose of 2a03.

I don't think it does. You see, I always want to limit myself to the 2A03 if I can, and I didn't feel like adding a whole expantion chip with six channels to only use four of them when the otherwise empty DPCM can do that same job. And also, I don't have any other program to work with anyway except for audacity, which I can't do a whole lot with regarding completely computer generated music. If you want to listen to it with the VRC7 instead of the samples, use Sync Play. The volume may be a bit unbalanced that way, but you can change that in the mixer.

wispybowl

Postby wispybowl » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:40 am

ollaxe wrote:
wispybowl wrote:Well if you're just using an expansion chip to create your own samples, why not just use the expansion chip? Seems to defeat the purpose of 2a03.

I don't think it does. You see, I always want to limit myself to the 2A03 if I can, and I didn't feel like adding a whole expantion chip with six channels to only use four of them when the otherwise empty DPCM can do that same job. And also, I don't have any other program to work with anyway except for audacity, which I can't do a whole lot with regarding completely computer generated music. If you want to listen to it with the VRC7 instead of the samples, use Sync Play. The volume may be a bit unbalanced that way, but you can change that in the mixer.

You're missing the point. You say you want to limit yourself to the 2a03 but then you use the dpcm to add in sounds from an expansion chip. The only difference between your 2a03 version and a version with the expansion chip is sound quality.
I have no signature.

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:37 am

wispybowl wrote:
ollaxe wrote:

You're missing the point. You say you want to limit yourself to the 2a03 but then you use the dpcm to add in sounds from an expansion chip. The only difference between your 2a03 version and a version with the expansion chip is sound quality.

Yes, I get your point to 100%, I did before too, but still don't agree with you. What you're saying is that I should never be using the DPCM with samples from another FTM to make anything other than drums. Or even use the DPCM for anything other than normal drums.

And also, another difference between my 2A03 version and the VRC7 is that the 2A03 version can be played on any Famicom or NTSC NES without any extra hardware. If I wouldn't use samples, I'd have to really work my ass of to make my cover not sound empty, and even then, it would come out bad anyway. And adding an expantion chip is not even a choice, I simply wont. If you want the VRC7 version, use Sync Play or make it into a single FTM yourself. I'm sticking to the samples anyway. I hope you understand. :)

And also, I wont finish it anyway. The response has been so bad, so I don't feel like finishing it would be any fun. If nobody likes what I'm making, why even bother? I'm gonna move on to something else, and I'll get that up on this thread as soon as possible. :)

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:47 pm

I guess you're right from a technical standpoint, but basically what we're saying is that what you're doing goes against the spirit of using the 2A03 alone, which is what is being frowned upon here.
Follow me on Twitter.