What covers am I working on? #timetrax

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
jsr
Site Admin

Re: What covers am I working on? #timetrax

Postby jsr » Fri May 01, 2015 9:06 pm

ollaxe wrote:
wispybowl wrote:You're missing the point. You say you want to limit yourself to the 2a03 but then you use the dpcm to add in sounds from an expansion chip. The only difference between your 2a03 version and a version with the expansion chip is sound quality.

Yes, I get your point to 100%, I did before too, but still don't agree with you. What you're saying is that I should never be using the DPCM with samples from another FTM to make anything other than drums. Or even use the DPCM for anything other than normal drums.

And also, another difference between my 2A03 version and the VRC7 is that the 2A03 version can be played on any Famicom or NTSC NES without any extra hardware. If I wouldn't use samples, I'd have to really work my ass of to make my cover not sound empty, and even then, it would come out bad anyway. And adding an expantion chip is not even a choice, I simply wont. If you want the VRC7 version, use Sync Play or make it into a single FTM yourself. I'm sticking to the samples anyway. I hope you understand. :)

And also, I wont finish it anyway. The response has been so bad, so I don't feel like finishing it would be any fun. If nobody likes what I'm making, why even bother? I'm gonna move on to something else, and I'll get that up on this thread as soon as possible. :)

I agree with ollaxe, I don't really see why sampling expansion chip sounds would be a problem here. The NES couldn't use expansion chips, so it's not really optional for someone who wants to make NES music. Even Nintendo did that when they ported FDS games to the NES, so I wouldn't say it goes against the spirit of 2A03 either.

ollaxe: I like your work so far!
Famitracker developer

CaptainSwag101

Postby CaptainSwag101 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:44 pm

jsr wrote:I agree with ollaxe, I don't really see why sampling expansion chip sounds would be a problem here. The NES couldn't use expansion chips, so it's not really optional for someone who wants to make NES music. Even Nintendo did that when they ported FDS games to the NES, so I wouldn't say it goes against the spirit of 2A03 either.

I agree, I love the mood that this song creates! I honestly don't care about the whole expansion chip argument, I think if using DPCM samples is the way you want to make music, then more power to you, because I think it sounds cool!

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Sat May 02, 2015 6:09 pm

I dunno, I still think sampling entire parts played with expansion chips and playing them on the DPCM channel, purely for the sake of not using expansion chips, is pretty pointless. There are times when sampling entire parts and playing them on the DPCM channel is a good idea, but this is not one of those times, in my opinion.
Follow me on Twitter.

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Sun May 03, 2015 4:05 pm

jsr wrote:I agree with ollaxe, I don't really see why sampling expansion chip sounds would be a problem here. The NES couldn't use expansion chips, so it's not really optional for someone who wants to make NES music. Even Nintendo did that when they ported FDS games to the NES, so I wouldn't say it goes against the spirit of 2A03 either.

Thanks jsr! :)

CaptainSwag101 wrote:I agree, I love the mood that this song creates! I honestly don't care about the whole expansion chip argument, I think if using DPCM samples is the way you want to make music, then more power to you, because I think it sounds cool!
Thank you! :)

jrlepage wrote:I dunno, I still think sampling entire parts played with expansion chips and playing them on the DPCM channel, purely for the sake of not using expansion chips, is pretty pointless. There are times when sampling entire parts and playing them on the DPCM channel is a good idea, but this is not one of those times, in my opinion.
I still don't see your problem. As I've already said twice before in this thread, if you think the 2A03 version is pointless, mute the DPCM and play it and "Extras" with syncplay. Problem solved. ;)

And also, sorry for not answering here for a couple of days, I've been away on a really fun camp, and I didn't have the time or will to post here from my phone! :P
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

retrodpc

Postby retrodpc » Sun May 03, 2015 7:43 pm

What I feel like is that the use of DPCM samples here is coming off as lazy, rather than innovative.

Personally, I think this sounds decent without the DPCM and getting rid of it/rearranging would be pretty nice.
Don't copypasta Quotes

my sondclop

Raijin

Postby Raijin » Mon May 04, 2015 6:05 pm

If you're going to use the pulse for the lead instead of DPCM, I would suggest trying to keep the echo if you can. Have the lead on one channel, and the other channel can switch between echo and arps or whatever else.

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Mon May 04, 2015 7:16 pm

Raijin wrote:If you're going to use the pulse for the lead instead of DPCM, I would suggest trying to keep the echo if you can. Have the lead on one channel, and the other channel can switch between echo and arps or whatever else.

But there wasn't an echo in the lead parts in the original to begin with, that's why I haven't added it... But I could try to make some barely noticable reverb thing... :)
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.

Radnyx

Postby Radnyx » Wed May 06, 2015 3:27 am

The use of 2A03 is impressive as it is already. I'd like to see it finished.

Tried this out in VRC6, ...worked surprisingly well.
Attachments
Time trax title vrc6.ftm
(67.14 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Wed May 06, 2015 5:47 pm

Radnyx wrote:The use of 2A03 is impressive as it is already. I'd like to see it finished.

Tried this out in VRC6, ...worked surprisingly well.

Wow, nice! Sounds awesome! I still think I'm going to stick to the 2A03 though. And don't get your hopes up on me finishing it, I don't actually know if I want to. But that's what this thread is for; WIP-stuff that I'm not sure if I'm going to finish. :D

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Fri May 08, 2015 12:03 am

Okay, what if you used DPCM drums?

(I used your original version)

(Sorry, only one frame)
Attachments
Time trax title.ftm
With...
(64.83 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com