What covers am I working on? #timetrax

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
ollaxe

Re: What covers am I working on? #timetrax

Postby ollaxe » Fri May 08, 2015 6:07 am

MiniMacro wrote:Okay, what if you used DPCM drums?

(I used your original version)

(Sorry, only one frame)

Nah, I need to save on all channels as much as possible, and I can already have the drum boost thing in the triangle, thus saving the DPCM for something else. :)
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Fri May 08, 2015 7:55 pm

ollaxe wrote:

(Sorry, only one frame)

Nah, I need to save on all channels as much as possible, and I can already have the drum boost thing in the triangle, thus saving the DPCM for something else. :)

Well, the real purpose of my edit was to show my experimentations with noise guitars.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Sat May 09, 2015 5:48 pm

MiniMacro wrote:Well, the real purpose of my edit was to show my experimentations with noise guitars.

You never said anything about that:

(Sorry, only one frame)
Plus that it sounded kinda wired, so I'm not going to use it. But thanks anyway!
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.

recme

Postby recme » Tue May 12, 2015 12:01 am

ollaxe wrote:
And also, I wont finish it anyway. The response has been so bad, so I don't feel like finishing it would be any fun. If nobody likes what I'm making, why even bother? I'm gonna move on to something else, and I'll get that up on this thread as soon as possible. :)

just chimed in to say that you shouldnt ever stop working on things just because it wasnt well recevied. you arent really making this song for anyone, so you can do anything you want with it. if someone doesnt like it, then thats just their personal taste. you cant please everyone.

as for the song itself, its well made. its not really a bad thing to leave parts out when you're making music in 2a03. the soundchip itself is strict, so if you're trying to recreate genesis music, some parts are going to be left out. cramming every part into 2a03 usually makes a song sound cluttered and not as clever as the original. so you should never be discouraged to leave out a part in a song.

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Wed May 13, 2015 4:18 pm

recme wrote:just chimed in to say that you shouldnt ever stop working on things just because it wasnt well recevied. you arent really making this song for anyone, so you can do anything you want with it. if someone doesnt like it, then thats just their personal taste. you cant please everyone.
I know, it's just that I got so discouraged when there was only negativity that I didn't feel like finishing it would be any fun. It felt more like a job for no money than an entertaining way of wasting my time. Since that post where I mentioned that I wouldn't finish it, some have posted positive feedback, even jsr, but the feeling that it would not be fun to finish is still there for me, and therefore, I will probably not finish it. :)

recme wrote:as for the song itself, its well made.
Thanks! :D

recme wrote:its not really a bad thing to leave parts out when you're making music in 2a03. the soundchip itself is strict, so if you're trying to recreate genesis music, some parts are going to be left out. cramming every part into 2a03 usually makes a song sound cluttered and not as clever as the original. so you should never be discouraged to leave out a part in a song.
Well, I do try to do that in my other covers, but in this one, it would've been way to difficult without the DPCM or an expantion chip, and it would've sounded empty. :)

Thanks for the post!

psn

Postby psn » Thu May 21, 2015 7:40 pm

Oh hey, someone else covering this song! I honestly like how this sounds a lot; it may be heavily DPCM-reliant but I think it's appropriate if you're limiting yourself to 2A03.

I'm going to leave my old cover here just for reference. Funnily enough, it's the exact opposite of your cover as I tried to do it without any DPCM usage! It should give you an idea of how it can sound in VRC6 (even though Radnyx has already experimented with the chip). Good luck with continuing this!
Attachments
timetraxtitle.nsf
(26.88 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
timetraxtitle.ftm
(92.51 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Thu May 21, 2015 8:10 pm

psn wrote:Oh hey, someone else covering this song! I honestly like how this sounds a lot; it may be heavily DPCM-reliant but I think it's appropriate if you're limiting yourself to 2A03.

I'm going to leave my old cover here just for reference. Funnily enough, it's the exact opposite of your cover as I tried to do it without any DPCM usage! It should give you an idea of how it can sound in VRC6 (even though Radnyx has already experimented with the chip). Good luck with continuing this!

Thank you PSN! I usually try to keep away from the DPCM, but I just could't make it sound good enough without it in this particular song. Just try to disable it. Doesn't sound that good, right? :)

And also, I've heard your cover of this song before! I found it on youtube, then I instantly hunted down the FTM to change the tempo to 125 and the engine speed to 50 hz. (I like the PAL-version more ;)) I gotta say, it's reeeaaallllllllyyyy awesome, well done!