Xenoblade Chronicles - You Will Know Our Names [2A03]

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Gors

Xenoblade Chronicles - You Will Know Our Names [2A03]

Postby Gors » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:06 am

Yo! I'm Gors (you might know me from Youtube!). I joined here per Recolorme's request - he's my chiptune buddy!

Anyways I've recently made this cover in 2A03 - give it a listen.
Attachments
You Will Know Our Names.ftm
(74.23 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

recme

Re: Xenoblade Chronicles - You Will Know Our Names [2A03]

Postby recme » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:19 am

welcome to the forums, gors! hope you have fun here. i know i am!

nice tune! i really like the dpcm usage in this cover.

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:10 am

I like your use of DPCM here, an interesting adaptation of the normal "sampled bass".

I would recommend using releases on the dpcm channel rather than note cuts. It makes the cutting of the sample a bit less sudden.

The sound design @ the guitar section of the song needs work. The pulse channels get kinda messy, and you may want to cut back the duty envelope a bit. (Perhaps just 2 3 0 instead of 2 2 2 3 0?)

graypesoda

Postby graypesoda » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:52 am

Wow! Nice use of DPCM. I agree with the Threxx about the slightly messy guitar sections however. Other than that, great job at this song, it's near impossible to make a great cover of this song with so many limits

Gors

Postby Gors » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:47 am

Yeah, thanks! It was really difficult but I'm happy with the outcome. As for the instruments, I'll try editing them a little.

PostApocolyptica

Postby PostApocolyptica » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:56 pm

This module is impressive, but the DPCM is most certainly not. I thought perhaps delayed release would do well with the faster guitar rhythm, but of course delayed release isn't a thing for vanilla users. That is somewhat irrelevant though, as the pitching on the guitar samples is rather poor, and overall it tends to muddy the sound of the module - muting the DPCM channel proved effective in making the module sound crisper. You have percussion samples; why did you not just use them throughout?
Sarumi is best ship; confirmed and manifested.

YouTube
Twitter
SoundCloud

Gors

Postby Gors » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:44 am

Because then there wouldn't be enough bass to back up the song. The song is functional without the DPCM indeed but it wouldn't have the same feel in my opinion.

As for the pitches, there's just so much you can do with DPCM anyways. There are just a handful of guitar samples in this module - the rest of the notes are achieved through DPCM pitch shift (which is not chromatic and leads to some innacuracies in pitch).

PostApocolyptica

Postby PostApocolyptica » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:59 am

Gors wrote:As for the pitches, there's just so much you can do with DPCM anyways. There are just a handful of guitar samples in this module - the rest of the notes are achieved through DPCM pitch shift (which is not chromatic and leads to some innacuracies in pitch).

The samples are poorly tuned even before one factors in the DPCM's own pitch shifting. The guitar samples within the module are far too sharp; this is why "C sus" is closer to a D, and why "E" is closer to an F♯.
Sarumi is best ship; confirmed and manifested.

YouTube
Twitter
SoundCloud

Gors

Postby Gors » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:05 pm

oh right, that's true - this is because I saved them with a different name - my bad. However, disregarding the wrong naming, the samples are properly pitched with, of course, DPCM distortion.

Return to “Cover Music”