[VRC6] Blue Danube

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Modus Ponens

[VRC6] Blue Danube

Postby Modus Ponens » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:41 pm

Hey gang! Some four or five years ago, while I was still pretty early into my game design program at DigiPen, a couple of my schoolmates asked me to do a chiptune cover of the Richard Strauss's Blue Danube Waltz for their game, Super Space ____. Naturally, I obliged, and ended up making this piece. The game ended up going to a couple of competitions, and it's completely free and SUPER fun, so I heartily recommend that any and all of you download it and play it with friends. (The music in the game has some post-processing on it, jsyk.)

I had been planning to finish it before posting it here — they instructed me just to start from the well-known A section and skip the original piece's intro — but I never got around to that, so I figured whatever, here you go. It's good anyway. It's nearly ten minutes long, and I'm very proud of it.

The FTM also contains a few other "songs": in the game's main menu, its music is the sound of the 8-bit "orchestra" tuning up, so song #2 is the oboe, and #3 is the rest of the orchestra. I exported them separately but they're designed to sync up when mixed. Song #4 is an earlier version of the same thing. Song #5 is the cool THX sound; I forget where that got used in the game, but I think it was for some splash screen that recommended that you use nice speakers or something. #6 is supposed to sound like a commercial airliner cabin, and the captain turns on the Fasten Seat Belts sign; they were talking about making a level where the stage rotates unpredictably and experiences "turbulence," but they never got around to doing that, so this track went unused.

Enjoy!

EDIT: I forgot to mention but wanted to add that I was satisfied with this, despite the phase reset clicks caused by vibratos here and there, because I knew I was just going to compile it to NSF and record from NotSoFatso with those clicks turned off. So if you hear those throughout the song when you're listening in FT, remember what I had in mind.
Attachments
Super Space Danube v2.ftm
(280.26 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Last edited by Modus Ponens on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Socrates is a man.
All men are mortal.
Therefore, all men are Socrates.

Monotonemonkey

Re: [VRC6] Blue Danube

Postby Monotonemonkey » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:02 am

I really enjoy this one! It really captures the style of the original orchestral score, and the tuning segments were a nice touch. Impressive!
"Those who are chained by common knowledge will laugh at those who aren't." - My Hero Academia

Titan of Plasma

Postby Titan of Plasma » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:13 pm

Excellent! Right now, I'm composing, and I said to myself: "OK, listen to this piece for a couple of minutes and then we continue working"... I stayed there for the whole 10+ minutes... even clapped at the end, as I'm an orchestral music aficionado.

Modus Ponens

Postby Modus Ponens » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:13 pm

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.
Socrates is a man.
All men are mortal.
Therefore, all men are Socrates.

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:57 am

Clapping at your computer just means you're a dork

(and this cover is fantastic and is going into my rare "saved modules" folder)
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus