[2A03] Arumana no Kiseki - Level 5

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
BioMechanicalDude

[2A03] Arumana no Kiseki - Level 5

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:51 pm

"Arumana no Kiseki"(Miracle of Almana) is, in my opinion a pretty underrated game. It was released by Konami in 1987 for the Famicom Disk System. It borrows a lot from the "Indiana Jones" movies, with the main character looking like Indy, fighting soldiers(nazis?) and thieves, who have stolen a sacred jewel from a small village and by doing so, have turned the village people into stone. The game has an awesome soundtrack by Kinuyo Yamashita, who also did the music for "Castlevania". And of course, the first thing that came to my mind, when hearing the game's music was "This is awesome! Now how would this sound if it was released on the NES?"
I have covered my favorite track(which is also one of my favorite video game themes), the Level 5 music. I tried to emulate the FDS's sound as much as I could, while still keeping most of the leads and basslines. It took me hours, but it turned out great, in my opinion. :D
Here's a link to the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfNm0fNfiIU&index=4&list=PLD8F419D308B80591
How faithful is my cover? Does it sound any good? Let me know. Comments and criticisms will be appreciated. :)
Attachments
[2A03] Arumana no Kiseki - Level 5.ftm
(13.78 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.

Shywolf

Re: [2A03] Arumana no Kiseki - Level 5

Postby Shywolf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Sounds like pre-DPCM Konami. Cool. Faithful, indeed.
Still, the noise track in the original has more "gaps" in it at the beginning of the song (more often than just the one on frame 0x00 - row 0x10), and I think adding the counterpoint melody played on one of the pulse channels in the original to frames 0x08-0x0A would be beneficial.

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:43 pm

First of all, I'd like to thank you for replying. My previous projects seem to be largely ignored, for some reason. Anyway, about the counterpoint melody: I have thought of putting it in the second pulse channel, but one of my main priorities with this cover was simulating the FDS instruments as best as I can, to make a more interesting and faithful sounding cover. This part of the track has a very unique sounding instrument, that can kinda sorta be simulated with two channels, so I figured, that adding the counterpoint melody would hurt the sound and make it sound like a regular high-pitched square wave.
Then again, the notes of the other melody may be able to interact with the lead notes and somewhat keep it there. After all, the initial version I made sounded way too quiet, so I had to make the second channel louder, even though the focus is on the first (if any of that made any sense. I'm not good at explaining myself :?). So I'll experiment with that and, if it sounds good, I'll post it.
Also, I'm thinking of covering most of the soundtrack, if not the whole thing. Though, I'll post it in a different thread, since this one is dedicated to just this track. So stay tuned for that thread and the other tracks! :D
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!

MechaGrapefruit

Postby MechaGrapefruit » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:31 am

I had never heard this soundtrack before, let alone of this game, so I'm glad that I've heard it now. The original (and the rest of the soundtrack) has some weird FDS instruments that I'm not really sold on, but it's pretty great. Your cover is pretty accurate, and the instruments sound in the spirit of the original, and honestly, are a bit easier on the ears. I do think working some of the counterpoint melody into one of the pulse channels would help. I definitely want to hear the rest of the soundtrack covered!
This is a haiku
About robotic citrus -
Bleep bloop, bleep bleep bloop.

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:16 am

OK, so I added the counterpoint melody. It sounds... OK. The effect I did with the two channels loses itself a bit, but not by much. Once I start covering the others and add the thread for the soundtrack, I'll, obviously, add this cover, for convenience's sake. So, I'd like to know which version do you guys want there: the first one or the revised one?
Attachments
[2A03] Arumana no Kiseki - Level 5 revised.ftm
(14.93 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:27 pm

Definitely the revised one for me. The counterpoint seems a little loud, though, but I assume that's from attempting to keep the FDS' sound in there.
Anyway, looking forward to that thread! Much like MechaGrapefruit, I rather like this game's soundtrack.

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:07 pm

Breaking News! I have finished another track from the game. I posted it in the "[2A03] Arumana no Kiseki Soundtrack" thread, so check it out and tell my what you think.

Return to “Cover Music”