Castlevania - Bloody Tears remix [MMC5]

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
BBLIR

Castlevania - Bloody Tears remix [MMC5]

Postby BBLIR » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:07 am

Reguires FT 0.5 beta!
While listening to my Mega Man X: Y soundtrack, I thought of expanding the remix. I also thought of doing it to mess around with the P80 effect (for better or worse).
I made two variations; the first is a remix with the original melody with MMXY elements. I wasn't really satisfied with it so I made variation 2, which loops and is more like the original MMXY variant.
Feedback would be very welcome.

EDIT: Fixed mistake in Variation 1. Sorry.
Attachments
Bloody Tears.ftm
(17.24 KiB) Downloaded 150 times

Potentialing

Re: Castlevania - Bloody Tears remix [MMC5]

Postby Potentialing » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:01 pm

Hey, this is actually really cool! I like how you re-imagined this song into more of a techno/trance-like remix, and I love the detune effects you did on the pulse channels!

I hope you don't mind me making a few edits/suggestions, but here goes nothing:

- Keep in mind of the other sound channels when you use max volume: Remember that Triangle and DPCM can't change their volume easily, so in order to balance it out you need to lower the volume of all the other channels, even moreso if you're using sound expansion chips like MMC5! 6-9 is typically a good volume range for this many channels, but remember that as you add more it's usually better to use even lower volume levels! (Not to mention, you get a lot more range to get louder if you need to!) Do keep in mind that I'm talking about the green output volume levels displayed right under where FamiTracker says "Pulse 1/Pulse 2/Triangle/etc" by the way: It combines the volume of the channel data (blue) and the instrument data at the same time!

- Watch out for the notes you're playing on your bassline (not necessarily on the Triangle, but "the lowest melodic/non-drum note you're playing at any given time). The bassline is the "base" of all the chords of the song, and can dramatically affect how the song feels!

I've attached a edited version to demonstrate some of the suggestions I made... Some parts of the bassline are deliberately inaccurate, for stylistic purposes, but feel free to change them to how the original's is. I could edit this a lot more, but for the sake of learning purposes I'll leave it at this.

Keep experimenting, this track some really cool ideas, and I'd love to hear more from you!
Attachments
Bloody Tears_edit.ftm
(44.94 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

BBLIR

Re: Castlevania - Bloody Tears remix [MMC5]

Postby BBLIR » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:12 am

Thank you for the help! I'll keep this in mind when composing.