ELO - Don't Bring Me Down (VRC6)

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
theleifster

ELO - Don't Bring Me Down (VRC6)

Postby theleifster » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:07 pm

the emoji movie zuccs
Attachments
dontbringmedown.ftm
(17.83 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Last edited by theleifster on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teuthida

Re: ELO - Don't Bring Me Down (VRC6)

Postby Teuthida » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:32 pm

I'm...not sure what your post had to do with the song...

The notes all seem correct to me. However, your arrangement lacks proper sound design and dynamics. Its instruments are quite basic, and there are no echo effects or similar techniques that would fill out unused channels. Most of the are always playing at full volume, which makes it impossible to create any accents. When the 'hook' part of the guitar comes in, it doesn't have the same punch as the original. Try mixing everything at a lower volume, and the moving to a higher one during important moments.

Also, you can use the Cxx effect to stop your song without looping it.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

theleifster

Re: ELO - Don't Bring Me Down (VRC6)

Postby theleifster » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:38 pm

Teuthida wrote:I'm...not sure what your post had to do with the song...

The notes all seem correct to me. However, your arrangement lacks proper sound design and dynamics. Its instruments are quite basic, and there are no echo effects or similar techniques that would fill out unused channels. Most of the are always playing at full volume, which makes it impossible to create any accents. When the 'hook' part of the guitar comes in, it doesn't have the same punch as the original. Try mixing everything at a lower volume, and the moving to a higher one during important moments.

Also, you can use the Cxx effect to stop your song without looping it.

For your first statement, the song was used in the trailer for The Emoji Movie.

As for the rest, I usually add the dynamics in the instruments themselves, rather than using effects and the like. In my opinion, the effects can get cluttered and using more than a few can be frustrating for me.

Originally when I made this remix, I used the sawtooth channel as the guitar in the song. However, when I did that, it lacked bass and I needed something to boost the triangle channel. You'll see what I mean if you turn off the sawtooth channel.

I'll try it out with some more dynamics and see how it sounds. If you have any specific tips on making the sounds more complex, I would like to know!

P. S. Thanks for telling me how to end the song instead of looping! I've been looking and I couldn't find it.

P. P. S. I respect you giving your criticism, in case I seemed overly defensive. :)

Return to “Cover Music”